UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2021, 9:17 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Panasonic DMR-EZ47VEB

Hi all

Firstly I don't know if this really belongs in the modern technology section but I suppose it isn't exactly modern either! I have recently got hold of one of these VHS/DVD combis to transfer some old family VHS tapes.

It was sold as working but upon arrival it was displaying the U81 error code suggesting capacitors needed replacement in the PSU. I've completed that and today had it working. It plays DVDs okay but not VHS tapes. It will take the cassette, lace it up and play for a few seconds (nothing on the screen as it doesn't have enough time to format) before rejecting the tape. It then attempts to lace again before giving up mid-lace with 'please wait' on the screen and then the machine shuts off.

I'm unsure if it is a sensor problem with the VHS deck or if it's a PSU problem not being able to supply enough power to the motor and shutting off. Before I give up and buy another does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 30th Apr 2021, 12:45 am   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic DMR-EZ47VEB

Depending on who/ where you got it from, I'd consider negotiating a partial refund if it was definitely sold as working. As for the issues, try giving the mode switch a clean as it's quite common for the contacts to become tarnished with lack of use.

Also check the loading belt, and keep the deck covered during testing as external light can trigger the start/ end sensors, leading to much head-scratching!
Old 30th Apr 2021, 10:04 am   #3
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for the pointers, I've already dealt with the seller and a partial refund was given. They admitted after that it hadn't actually been used for quite a few years but was working when last used

I'll give the switch you mention a clean as that would coincide with the lack of use. Loading belt is all okay and I can't see any real faults. I noticed the optical sensor on the board so I've been testing the unit fully assembled but it makes no change.
Old 30th Apr 2021, 10:48 am   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Common fault, there is a repair kit for these or was on Ebay and cheap enough.(£7.89) The caps are C11170 C11801 C11377 C11370 C11708 C11711 C11751 C11401 C11701 These are all inc in the kit.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 30th Apr 2021 at 10:57 am.
Old 30th Apr 2021, 1:18 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The VHS deck probably has another fault - very often these decks haven't been used for a while. You probably didn't remove it for the repair, so it's worth having a quick inspection. The usual fault finding is needed - Does the drum rotate? Is there capstan drive? Do FF and REW work? Do you get a picture when selecting play and pause?
I've had a few stuck motors on these, both drum and capstan, belt broken and so on. Mode switch is less of a problem as it's a lumpy bumpy type.
Old 1st May 2021, 2:31 pm   #6
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi Glyn the capstan motor and head work fine. When playing I don't get anything on the screen, I don't think the player has enough time to display anything before shutting back off. REW, FF and pause all seem to be unresponsive but as I say it only has a few seconds before it rejects the tape.

I do wonder whether a few more caps could be faulty but I've replaced all of the visually faulty ones, that's not to say more could have failed and the list HamishBoxer supplied suggests there could be a few more to replace.
Old 1st May 2021, 5:30 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The caps I listed are the standard ones that give the U81 and "please wait" fault etc and worth a try.
Old 1st May 2021, 7:49 pm   #8
gallowfields
Hexode

The most common cap to fail is the 2200uF under the RAM module, roughly middle usually very obvious. Also you need to have the top on before the VCR will work properly, or cover the sensors.
Closed Thread