UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2019, 10:32 am   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BBC website obsolete technology that's not.

This is a technical forum. Discussions about cheques and other paper-based payment methods are off topic (although they are mentioned in the BBC article).

Please stick to the other four things in the article, which are relevant here.

Thank you.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 9th Oct 2019, 11:02 am   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I note that there's a link at the bottom to other articles about obsolete technology.

Bizarrely, the dates given for VHS video's existence are "1983 - 2016". Surely someone at the BBC was born when the home video boom of the very early 1980s happened and can remember that VHS was very well established indeed by '83.

Nick.
Old 9th Oct 2019, 1:53 pm   #23
Gridiron
Heptode

I have the Hitachi VHS recorder which I inherited from my late father still on standby though I seldom use it, as the clock shows the time. The last year the clock could be set to is 2016.
Mike.
Old 9th Oct 2019, 2:24 pm   #24
Dave Moll
Dekatron

According to Wikipedia, VHS was developed in the early 1970s, released in Japan 09-09-1976 and USA 23-08-1977. No mention of UK.

It would appear from the same article that manufacturing did end in 2016 - so Mike's VCR clock was spookily prescient in its date limit!
Old 9th Oct 2019, 7:25 pm   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

For the UK, mention is made of ither January 1977 or 1978 (that paragraph is written very badly).
Old 9th Oct 2019, 10:18 pm   #26
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
I recently started using cassettes again to play in the car. Though, like many people, I have a library of music in my phone, it's impossible to use it while driving. I can safely grab a cassette, unbox it and operate the player without taking my eyes and mind off the road, simply because it's such a tactile, physical operation, which no touch screen will ever match!

Chris
I thought the criticism of cassette performnce showed a degree of ignorance: "press play, and away you go. Just don't expect great sound quality". I'd expect a prerecorded cassette on a decent car player to sound pretty hi-fi and with lower background noise than a typical FM stereo broadcast received in the car.

Martin
Old 10th Oct 2019, 3:50 pm   #27
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
For the UK, mention is made of ither January 1977 or 1978
This would make sense, I have a 3V22 badged as a Baird, the Radio Rentals sticker inside the machine is dated summer of 1978.

Mark
Old 13th Oct 2019, 6:13 pm   #28
electronicskip
Nonode

I think the Baird model number would be 8922? which was a 1978 machine for sure
Old 26th Oct 2019, 1:39 pm   #29
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I was the most interested in comments about the Pager and its hospital role! Members may recall the Stephen Poliakoff series [Summer of Rockets] on BBC2 in June. This had a storyline about the invention of this device and its introduction into the hospital environment. There's a thread about this and other bits of vintage kit that appeared. Given the difficulties of running such an enormous and vital organisation, I'm thinking of the principle, espoused by Hunikin in particular, "If it ain't fixed don't break it". The article makes a point of saying that the Pager signal seems to reach the parts that mobile phones can't. A sensible observation in an otherwise, slightly patronising, perky piece aimed at the new trendy audience the Beeb always imagines it should catch up with. Very W1A for those who haven't seen that BBC based comedy [documentary]. A member commented recently, during a discussion about the new "BBC Sounds/I Player" now not working on many listener's devices, that people in BH live in a world of new phones etc every six months. That means [ironically] that they may be the ones actually out of touch with the audience!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Oct 2019 at 1:51 pm.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 9:09 pm   #30
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh dear, I see that I got the well known phrase or saying the wrong way round-it should be "If it ain't broke don't fix it" of course. I was thinking of the difficulties often caused when systems are up-dated or re-organised for no apparent good reason. Perhaps it's a maxim that could be applied to BBC Sounds in particular?

Dave W
Old 6th Nov 2019, 8:46 pm   #31
AC/HL
Dekatron

Another OT post deleted. Maybe elsewhere, but we don't do obsolete here if at all possible.
Closed Thread