UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2019, 12:09 am   #41
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Back To The future with a C90

That's good news Dave. I looked on Wikki but didn't spot any reference to a rescue operation. Was I looking in the wrong place? Have you seen the BBC4 programs I wonder?

Dave W
Old 28th Nov 2019, 9:58 am   #42
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskas View Post
Getting a compilation tape from an overseas penpal was always a joy!
I got to know some great world music I would never have known about if it weren't for tapes!
Indeed. I used to swap recordings of radio stations with overseas penpals who shared our radio interests and I was always full of anticipation and excitement as to what exotic joys a newly arrived cassette might contain. This was a great window on other cultures when otherwise all we had was short wave or a bit of medium wave DX.

I remember having to go through elaborate procedures at the Post Office with customs labels and the facility to allow the contents of the package to be examined in transit.

I remember some folk who used to 'tapespond' but I always stuck with the fountain pen.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 9:45 am   #43
Test Desk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
A few weeks ago I recommissioned my Sony TCK-81, my 3 head twin capstan deck with adjustable bias controls from the early 80's works as good as new after de gumming some old grease in the transport mechanism and the belts are fine.
Looking forward to listening to the dozens of tapes I have when I recorded top of the pops on a Sunday with Alan Freeman!

Alan
A man after my own heart but I think I must be older as my recordings of TOTP were made on a Fidelity reel to reel and I still have it in working order without any maintenance other than removing the recording level valve (anyone remember those?) which failed and caused hum ( I think?) but having no idea how to repair it, found the recorder worked well without it as long as I was careful not to overload the phono input.
For me, the biggest inconvenience of cassette tapes was finding the next track and having to listen to the Chipmunks to find it. I don't know how the digital generation will cope without instant track access. I have a Roberts mains/battery cassettes machine I bought about ten years ago but not much used. I might get bit out and play the cassettes I inherited from my dearly departed mother, who loved all music in all formats but never heard mp3.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 12:34 pm   #44
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

It doesn't help if your cassette recorders don't feature this, but may have/had music search systems variously described as 'APSS(Sharp)', CPS ('Blaupunkt'), MSS ('Philips'), etc, These aren't infallible, as they rely on a gap of at least 3 seconds between tracks to function correcty. Some decks had a kind of 'Super' search' facility, which would find a particular track, but of course none are as Instant as CD, MP3, etc., nor can they be.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 1:59 pm   #45
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
It doesn't help if your cassette recorders don't feature this, but may have/had music search systems variously described as 'APSS(Sharp)', CPS ('Blaupunkt'), MSS ('Philips'), etc, These aren't infallible, as they rely on a gap of at least 3 seconds between tracks to function correcty. Some decks had a kind of 'Super' search' facility, which would find a particular track, but of course none are as Instant as CD, MP3, etc., nor can they be.
When I changed from a mechanical piano key cassette player to a Tecnics logic deck ..I absolutely hated it at first..something to do with losing touch with the heads engaging.. or something.. but it has a search and stop facility and it is so useful and circa 30 years later still using it ..no belts to age either.

Nothing to with me,but anyone still interested in cassettes this is an interesting channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5y...x-uqnXBkWmyqBQ

Old 4th Dec 2019, 3:58 pm   #46
TowerRadio
Hexode

What is the best way of replacing the foam pressure pad that to turns to goo,or the felt pads that drop off? I have boxed cassette recordings that cost good money but they nearly all have the cheap foam pads.I have cracked them open and put the recording into a new cassette body, a bit of a waste when something cheaper would do. Anyone know of a better way,or source of correct type of foam? Les
Closed Thread