UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2019, 1:42 am   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Hiland Component Tester

A lot of my DIY projects including kit assemblies never take off but after a bit of troubleshooting and thought, this one did. I bought this component tester kit from Banggood and assembled it this evening.

https://www.banggood.com/Original-Hi...r_warehouse=CN

The kit comes with no instructions whatsoever, but the component values are printed on the PCB. Initially it powered up after assembly, but did not work. After carefully rechecking the upper part of the double sided PCB, I found that some of the components were not soldered to the tracks. It still did not work. I then realised I had fitted the processor the wrong way round in the socket, so I corrected this. This got the tester working and I was successfully able to test transistors, resistors, inductors and capacitors. Here's a picture of it testing a Suflex capacitor. I haven't tested the frequency generator bit yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0102-01.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	194274  
Old 24th Nov 2019, 1:46 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Hiland Component Tester

Sounds like a fairly robust design if you got away with reversing the processor connections!

These things are actually very useful- especially if you have some idea of their accuracy and limitations.

There seems to be a perfectly usable Chinglish instruction / assembly manual downloadable from the site you linked. Too large to attach here, though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...VRNU0ZXVXNGc0U

Don't take the "resistance welding" suggestion too literally
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 24th Nov 2019 at 1:52 pm.
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 1:47 pm   #3
Bobdger
Hexode

My M8 transistor tester arrived today. I built the kit, on first testing the display said "timeout" after about 25 seconds but did not switch off. This I chased down to the test switch being n/o - n/c. I removed the switch turned it round 180 degs and resoldered. The display now works well I was successfully able to test transistors, resistors, inductors and capacitors and the display auto turns off.. and all for about £6.00 and 1/2 hours labour.

Bob.
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 6:25 pm   #4
Boulevardier
Octode

These things are very useful, and seem very accurate. Biggest problem for me with the one I've got is remembering to discharge larger capacitors before connecting them. I've already b------ed one microprocessor this way. Needs a simple circuit to automatically discharge them.

Mike
Closed Thread