UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2022, 8:15 am   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Pye QAC38

I was given this lovely set last year by a Forum member, but have only just got around to looking at it.

To my surprise, the output transformer and speaker field coil were both intact. Despite this, not even a hum from the speaker. The output valve (Mullard PenA4) had zero emission and the rectifier had one heater o/c. However, replacements in stock, so that was no problem. The usual capacitors were changed, plus the electrolytics in the power supply, and it burst into life.

Next, the case. It was intact but rather battered, with some big scratches and the speaker cloth torn. I sanded it down by hand (using an electric sander can go through the veneer!) and applied Danish oil. I wanted to keep the Pye logo on the top, so sanded carefully around it.

Finally, alignment. Fortunately this is entirely by trimmer caps, so quite easily done. Warning to anyone working on one of these - one of the brass trimmer nuts on each of the IFTs is at HT potential!

Job done, and I am really chuffed with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	261282   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	261283  
Old 22nd Jul 2022, 11:12 am   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Pye QAC38

Well done.

If the PenA4 really is zero emission, it could be a dry joint inside one of the hollow valve base pins.

I have one of these with a missing speaker cloth and a hot mains transformer.

Where did you get that new speaker cloth?
Old 22nd Jul 2022, 11:20 am   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post

I agree - that's lovely speaker cloth, and it really suits the radio very well! Could OP tell us the source?

Mike
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 2:03 pm   #4
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post
Well done.

If the PenA4 really is zero emission, it could be a dry joint inside one of the hollow valve base pins.

I have one of these with a missing speaker cloth and a hot mains transformer.

Sorry to come back with an unhelpful reply, but the answer is, my box of bits of speaker cloth! I've an idea it came from the old Vintage Wireless Co in Bristol, so I must have had it a good many years.

There is an American dealer on Ebay that has some pretty good '30s style speaker facric, but it's about £15 for a 12 inch square.
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 4:45 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Looks really great. I have had this similar PYE for over 25 years but I don't know the model number! Pye were very bad at this and didn't put model numbers on TV and radio until 1950. It is slightly different to your example. I also have the radiogram version. John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	261395  
Old 25th Jul 2022, 8:19 am   #6
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Looks really great. I have had this similar PYE for over 25 years but I don't know the model number! Pye were very bad at this and didn't put model numbers on TV and radio until 1950. It is slightly different to your example. I also have the radiogram version. John
Actually I think yours is a QAC2. It's slightly earlier than the QAC38 and is a "short" superhet with a double diode pentode as the output valve.
Pye made some splendid sets in the late '30s but they didn't put the model number on them.
Closed Thread