UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2022, 10:29 pm   #1
Charles Wallis
Triode

Default Philips 206A restoration

Further to my recent request for help with the rectifier here is how it turned out. I received this 1940's 4 valve AM radio after it had been a non runner in an attic for about 40 years. The valve line up is ECH35, EF39, EBL31, AZ31. It was in a dreadful state, filthy dirty and most of the rubber (pre plastic?) insulation on the wiring was crumbling away. Clearly not a set to apply power to any time soon with the 2 core mains cord itself cloth covered and looking very dangerous indeed. The Trader sheet 478 had the wrong valves but I managed to get the Service Data sheet with all the correct data as this was a different version.

I checked all the transformer DC resistances and they were OK. I disconnected and labelled all the grotty wiring around the mains transformer I then applied mains via a bulb limiter to the 245V primary winding and checked AC on the secondaries. The 4V, 6.3V and 495V HT secondaries all seemed OK. The rectifier valve was missing and I took advice from this forum and acquired a new one rather than use diodes. I did some preliminary rewiring of the rectifier circuitry with a new smoothing cap and the AZ31 valve delivered 300V without load, so I had HT power at least.

An eagle eyed member (thanks Jerry) spotted on a photo that the top cap of the output valve was missing, a common problem, so I acquired one of these as well. I then set about a complete rewiring and recapping of the set, a fairly time consuming but rewarding activity. I replaced both decouplers C1 and C2 under the chassis leaving the remaining can on top for visual effect only. There were a large number of horrid waxies and black tar caps, all of which I replaced with polyester yellows.
With all that done and double checked, I plugged in the other 3 tubes and checked the heaters; all good. With a speaker wired in I then put in the rectifier and switched on; silence! The EBL31 was only luke warm but again with sound advice that it might be a poor connection on the base, that was fixed and it began to get hot and make some hum and a lot of motorboating. Further advice and the problem was the earthed screen on the EF39 IF amplifier valve. Apparently common on this type. With a bit of fiddling this was solved and the set burst into life. Victory! The reception seemed reasonable on SW, MW and LW.
With a working set I now put in a proper new mains lead and rewired all the wiring from the voltage selector to transformer.
Then I restrung the tuning system using cord from a fabric shop and a Biro spring as tensioner.
Lastly I polished up the Bakelite cabinet with T cut car polish. Only then did I realise what a stylish looking set it is, having been totally focussed on whether it would actually work or not!
All in all a very satisfying project and thanks again to all who helped on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220706_101402.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	260630   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_125522.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	260632   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_114650.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	260633   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_114553.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	260634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_212926.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	260635  

Old 9th Jul 2022, 6:28 am   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 206A restoration

These are good sets. You were lucky with the output transformer. I had two of these sets and both had O/C output transformers! Like you, I had to do a rewire although only partly as some wiring was rubber covered and the rest was PVC. I was able to make one good radio out of the two. One of the sets I had was so bad it was only any good as a parts donor anyway. I replaced the smoothing can on mine with a new double type bought from 'Ask Jan First' in Germany. I used an output transformer from yet a third parts donor set (although a different model).

Well done persevering and getting a successful result. It sometimes is amazing how the tattiest and most poor condition sets bounce back and perform really well.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 6:28 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Nice job, well done!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th Jul 2022, 2:55 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi. What a good restoration. I have one of these radios, as well as a Mullard MAS82 of a similar circuitry (the latter will be restored later.
I had problems on my Philips with the I.F can fittings, they were very loose on the chassis.
Cheers
Mike
Old 12th Jul 2022, 9:20 pm   #5
Gabe001
Octode

Well done with this set, a very good end result. It seems like you had your work cut out with the wiring and electrical work.

You were lucky the OPT was good. My Philips 462a had an o/c OPT. Same with the bx180u. Only the 371a didn't need the OPT replaced. Looks like it's a common Philps issue.
Old 13th Jul 2022, 9:42 pm   #6
Charles Wallis
Triode

Thanks for the replies. Another problem I encountered was a broken coil in the front RF stage. The winding was very fine like a human hair. Intitially there was no reception, then I spotted the broken wire. I think I might have broken it when cleaning the waveband switch which is very close by. I managed to solder a single strand to bridge the gap and it worked!
Old 14th Jul 2022, 12:45 am   #7
silver ghost
Triode

Have you tried to connect a DAB converter or something like a modern record player to the radio set? I guess you need a RIAA stage for the newer cartridges to work. I have noticed a lot of the old radios have banana plug-in option for record players and even extra loud speaker some times. It is a silly questoin, but I wonder how the sound turns out on old sets like this.
Closed Thread