UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2022, 7:59 pm   #1
lloydwells
Heptode

Default BURNDEPT ETHODYNE Owners ?? A couple of questions

I recently purchased a somewhat rough Burndept Ethodyne for £100 complete but stored for decades I have now stripped and repolished the case and started on its insides. The only schematic I can find for one.is attached and every other one I can find pics of online seems totally different. This one is an oak case not mahogany and seems longer and narrower than the others this one is approx 27" long and 14" deep the schematic shows one transformer ( not counting the three IF transformers) mine has three IF transformers and three intervalve transformers it also has outputs for loudspeakers of two different impedances. A pic of the chassis and schematic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220508_194814_565.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	256806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220503-114130~2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	256807  
Old 10th May 2022, 9:10 am   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: BURNDEPT ETHODYNE Owners ?? A couple of questions

A very early superhet, it will be interesting to see how it performs if you can get it going.

I only see 2 audio transformers and one of those is possibly the audio choke shown in your circuit connected to V5 anode.
Old 10th May 2022, 9:18 am   #3
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

This site has plenty of information about early superhets. Although USA based, the technology, problems and solutions were very similar:
http://www.duanesradios.info/html/ea...eterodyne.html
Old 10th May 2022, 9:39 am   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Love it ! I was wondering reg the six volt heater supply I see there is a 10 ohm res in the earth return for the heaters ,which req five volts , do you intend to construct a mains power supply ,or you could use a small motorbike battery for the heaters , I will be watching with interest, Mick.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:28 am   #5
Gridiron
Heptode

I know of three different cabinets for this set, the long narrower cabinet with or without doors and a short wider cabinet with doors. I have the long version without doors and a long empty cabinet with doors. Both cabinets are in poorish condition, I did get the set I have working with a frame aerial borrowed from a friend and it was quite sensitive although difficult to tune.
Mike.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:57 am   #6
lloydwells
Heptode

Gridiron how many intervalve transformers does yours have one or three ?? The only diagram I can find has one this one has three. My IF transformers although good had serious issues with the actual cans the brass had fractured and split so I'm having to make new cans for them I've done one so far it's come out well enough
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220507_140717_116.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	257339  
Old 19th May 2022, 11:17 pm   #7
Gridiron
Heptode

My set has three I.F. transformers. At the time I traced out a circuit diagram which I am attaching, not sure well it will come out as it is a bit faint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ethodyne 7 Valve Superhet Circuit 001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	257485  
Old 21st May 2022, 2:38 pm   #8
lloydwells
Heptode

GRIDIRON. yours is by the look of that diagram totally different to mine I'll pop some pics of the guts on later
Closed Thread