UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2022, 12:21 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default The lighthouses construction and operation.

Utterly incredible, not much radio but an appreciation for the Lighthouse builders the service and their families.
Try getting anything made like these from granite and at sea today
would be impossible imho !.
Old 13th Sep 2022, 12:41 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: The lighthouses construction and operation.

They are still out there building at sea with steel and under water concrete.
That is how they are doing off shore wind farms.
Old 13th Sep 2022, 12:48 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

It wouldn't be impossible - but it would be a major operation.

Henry Winstanley building the first Eddystone lighthouse, after it was believed impossible, gets a lot of admiration from me. No funding available, because it was believed it would be money down the drain - so he negotiated to be able to get a levy from each ship when it docked in Plymouth if he funded the lighthouse himself and put a light on the rock.

He built the lighthouse with a mixture of inflated ego, ignorance of how hard it would be, and sheer guts and determination. Afterwards he said if he'd realised how trying it would be, he'd never have started. But he succeeded, and shipwreck rate plummeted.
Old 13th Sep 2022, 5:14 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

The boom in lighthouse construction during the nineteenth century was largely facilitated by the development of steam power tools. Prior to this period, construction took a lot longer and the towers had a limited lifespan. The Douglas system of interlocking granite blocks with marble keys revolutionised construction and longevity.
Neil
(member, association of lighthouse keepers)
Old 14th Sep 2022, 8:01 am   #5
Malcolm T
Hexode

Must admit i have never heard of the Douglass system till now .
Old 14th Sep 2022, 8:51 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Up here, lighthouse building was a family business: The Stevenson family.

I think the models and explanations are still there in the National Museum of Scotland, on Chambers Street, Edinburgh.

David
Old 14th Sep 2022, 10:35 pm   #7
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Up here, lighthouse building was a family business: The Stevenson family.
There is an excellent book by Bella Bathhurst on the Lighthouse Stevensons

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...use_Stevensons

which seems to be based in part on Robert Louis Stevenson's publication "Records of a Family of Engineers" which can be found at

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/280

My mother always said that her great grandfather was one of the Lighthouse Stevensons although I never found a definite connection.
Old 15th Sep 2022, 2:10 am   #8
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Particularly good are the Stevensons' 'Accounts' of each lighthouse build which they had to write for the Commissioners. These are available online to read, for example Alan Stevenson's 'Account of the Skerryvore Lighthouse' prepared for the Commissioners of the Northern Lighthouses. It is this lighthouse that he describes as having granite stones that took between 55 and 320 man hours to dress each, depending on their location and complexity.
Old 15th Sep 2022, 3:08 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Wiki says it was Douglass not Douglas.

They were involved with the Wolf Rock Lighthouse down here between Land's End and the Isles of Scilly, apparently the first in the world to have a helipad up top.

Somewhere I have a photo I once took many years ago of the sea near Wolf Rock from a ship I was on which was on a 9 day inward journey from Montreal to Tilbury Docks, the reason I took the photo was because of the sea state, no not rough but almost mirror calm, the calmest I had ever seen, if I ever find it I'll try and post it up.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Sep 2022, 2:19 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Back in the late-60s as an impressionable schoolboy I went with my parents to visit the lighthouse on Anglesey. Access was down what seemed like an unending series of stone steps then across a rather fragile wire-rope bridge. Apart from the whole issue of 'where do you buy furniture to fit curved walls?' I remember the radio-room had a Marconi transmitter/receiver [surely should have been an Eddystone if it was in a lighthouse?] which looked distinctly 1930s - the receiver was a TRF with a 'regeneration' control!
Old 16th Sep 2022, 4:53 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Wiki says it was Douglass not Douglas.

They were involved with the Wolf Rock Lighthouse down here between Land's End and the Isles of Scilly, apparently the first in the world to have a helipad up top.

Somewhere I have a photo I once took many years ago of the sea near Wolf Rock from a ship I was on which was on a 9 day inward journey from Montreal to Tilbury Docks, the reason I took the photo was because of the sea state, no not rough but almost mirror calm, the calmest I had ever seen, if I ever find it I'll try and post it up.

Lawrence.
Found it! and the chief hillbilly snapper...

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just off wolf rock batory.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	264831   Click image for larger version

Name:	mid atlantic somewhere batory.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	264832  
Closed Thread