UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2023, 8:08 pm   #61
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Shellac insulating varnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Leaving aside the ethical questions, the world has moved away from shellac and is using synthetic varnishes etc for good reason! Resistance to solvents would definitely be one of them. After all, why use shellac when there are alternatives, now, which are better?
But this is a Vintage Forum!
It is all about doing things in the way it used to be done.
Where do you draw the line, why nor throw away all our vintage electronics and replace it with the latest gizmo because the world had moved on!

Andy
But French polishing wasn't the way it was done.

It might well be that 1920s crystals radio and early valve radio cabinets were French polished as they were generally produced in small quantities by small companies, before large-scale mass production of valve radios in large factories, from which time radio cabinets were invariably sprayed with nitrocellulose. The nearest and safest modern replacement is clear acrylic gloss lacquer, which is the finishing coat for cars, so is durable and UV resistant. For for a more muted gloss, melamine is a good alternative, both of which come in aerosols cans.

French polish is a perfectly valid finish for a radio cabinet, but it would be a mistake to say that to use it is to 'preserve originality'. If in doubt about the original finish, a small dab of meths in an inconspicuous place will prove it one way or another. If the meths just evaporates and the surface doesn't start to dissolve, it isn't French polish.

If anyone wishes to have a go at French polishing and to see the results which can be achieved, take a look at this 2009 thread by forum member Colin Wood, ('Retired'):

'French Polishing for Beginners' (66 posts - 92,000 views!):

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=47952
Old 25th Oct 2023, 11:09 pm   #62
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Good point - and I'll certainly back Craig's use of French polish for cabinet work!
Not radio cabinets I have to say - veneered loudspeaker cabinets, coffee tables etc yes.

But I also use Danish Oil as a much more resilient finish too. After an initial brushed layer to seal the surface, I build up using a screwed up ball of lint-free cloth.

I rarely, if ever use polyeurethane varnishes or anything similar on decorative woods or veneers.

Craig
Old 25th Oct 2023, 11:53 pm   #63
ScottBouch
Octode

I use Danish oil on our kitchen worktop (European walnut) ....its a brilliant surface, and withstands heat from hot pans, and all sorts of chemicals, until an old vegetable is left to leak its rotting goo onto it, and some unfortunate chemical reaction happens which strips the Danish oil right off. And when the kids felt tip pens soak through their single sheet of paper, this soaks right in to the surface. Or bicarbonate of soda, or Elbow Grease cleaner are left on small puddles... Grrrrrrr....

Funny how I'm the one who sands it down and re-treats it, and it's all the others in the house who damage it! They may take more care if it was their job!

But yes, Danish oil is lovely stuff.
Old 26th Oct 2023, 4:12 pm   #64
John10b
Nonode

What an interesting post this turned out to be, I only intended to have a quick look, but got hooked on the interesting and informative replies. Thanks folks.
John
Old 27th Oct 2023, 8:51 am   #65
ScottBouch
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
What an interesting post this turned out to be, I only intended to have a quick look, but got hooked on the interesting and informative replies. Thanks folks.
John
Absolutely, I was thinking the same - how much interest can be generated over something so seemingly insignificant.

I had this experience once before in discussing the humble wax Chinagraph pencils used in the RAF - I asked one simple question and ended up with many many people chipping in, lots of stories and recollections, and also was sent some pencils in the post!

https://www.pprune.org/military-avia...neeboards.html

It resulted in me writing this web page here: https://scottbouch.com/aircrew-uk-ch...ls-scripto.htm

Cheers, Scott