UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2022, 4:03 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Machine polishing Bakelite

Has anyone successfully used a powered polishing mop of any kind to polish bakelite? I'm talking rotary either edgewise or face on, or using a polishing material on a orbital (sander) type tool?

I don't want this to turn into a debate about how good hand polishing is. I've 'mastered' hand polishing and I'm perfectly happy with the results I can get, just looking for an easier, quicker method using power tools. Obviously, power tools can't replace hand polishing when it comes to nooks and crannies, but maybe they come into their own on larger surfaces.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 4:27 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Machine polishing Bakelite

I can't see why it wouldn't work if done carefully and with the right kit. I don't have anything suitable though, so just have to use old rags and elbow grease.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 4:45 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I can't see why it wouldn't work if done carefully and with the right kit. I don't have anything suitable though, so just have to use old rags and elbow grease.
Well exactly, but without giving anything away at this point I've bought kit to do this and struggling to make it work. Let's hear what others have done successfully - or not, like me!
Old 8th Jul 2022, 6:01 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

What polishing compounds are you using with your machine polisher?

EDIT: I don't have a machine polisher but I do have a bench grinder with a polishing wheel. I will polish up some Bakelite furniture rests with Autosol and wax to give members an idea of what can be achieved.

Last edited by OldTechFan96; 8th Jul 2022 at 6:18 pm.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 6:15 pm   #5
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Well exactly, but without giving anything away at this point I've bought kit to do this and struggling to make it work. Let's hear what others have done successfully - or not, like me!
It's a bit difficult to help you if you don't want to tell us what set up you are using

FWIW I reckon that machine polishing will work a treat.

Steve.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 6:57 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I tried it once, whipped the knob out of my hand hit the floor never to be seen again, you have not seen inside of my garage! I had second thoughts on using it on a case I would expect if you got it wrong it would be possible to pull chunks out of it.

John.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 7:17 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Dohh. It doesn't matter what my first failed attempt was, I've got my own ideas of how to improve on it, it's not rocket science after all. I want to hear from people who have successfully used a power polisher of some sort. Why experiment if others have perfected (or nearly perfected) the best methods?!
Old 8th Jul 2022, 7:20 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
What polishing compounds are you using with your machine polisher?

EDIT: I don't have a machine polisher but I do have a bench grinder with a polishing wheel. I will polish up some Bakelite furniture rests with Autosol and wax to give members an idea of what can be achieved.
Ok thanks, but that's holding Bakelite parts against a fixed, rotating polishing wheel. I'm talking more about using a portable, hand held device to polish the larger areas of a Bakelite cabinet.
Old 8th Jul 2022, 8:11 pm   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

I would have thought that a slow rotation car polisher might work with some suitable polishing paste. I don’t think any fast moving pad would be much use and could possibly cause burns.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 12:09 am   #10
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Dohh. It doesn't matter what my first failed attempt was, I've got my own ideas of how to improve on it, it's not rocket science after all. I want to hear from people who have successfully used a power polisher of some sort. Why experiment if others have perfected (or nearly perfected) the best methods?!
OK, I'm a bit taken aback by that - I thought you wanted advice on how to best use the equipment you said that you had bought.

Here's my experience for you to take as you wish.

Use the same pads that are available for polishing car paint finishes, these are fine for plastics. I get best results with a slow ish speed in a cordless drill using water as a coolant/lubricant.

Since you are in Staffordshire I recommend that you visit these folk:

B.S Supplies Britannia Park Industrial Estate, North Rd, Stoke-On-Trent, ST6 2PZ

Super helpful and a great range of polishing pads and abrasives.

I'm sure that you are aware though that bakelite has a surface layer (a little like the gel layer on fibergless mouldings but much thinner) which once worn through exposes a rougher layer beneath which will not polish up to a brilliant gloss. With machine polishing you have to go very gently othewise you will cut right through the polishable layer. this is often not a problem with hand polishing as it is much more gentle.

I sincerely hope this helps you,

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 9th Jul 2022 at 12:23 am.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:54 am   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Steve. Exactly what support pads, polishing pads etc are you securing to your cordless drill? Photos would be good. What polishing compound(s) are you using and exactly how are you introducing water into the equation?
Old 9th Jul 2022, 12:51 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

Post No.10- Steve 2, to clarify, have you used water as a lubricant when specifically polishing bakelite, or are you referring to other plastics? Thanks

Dave
Old 9th Jul 2022, 1:54 pm   #13
pip5678
Pentode

Although I realise the OP isn't using a bench grinder but for information I have had excellent results with polishing mops on mine using brown tripoli (Google it) bought in a kit with two grades of mop and the finer finish being obtained with cream polish bar which is often seen in plastic polishing kits.

I have done many restorations on Bakelite even resorting to filing then rubbing down with wet and dry and have always managed to get a good finish not having any issue with the 'surface layer' mentioned in post 10.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 2:43 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip5678 View Post
Although I realise the OP isn't using a bench grinder but for information I have had excellent results with polishing mops on mine using brown tripoli (Google it) bought in a kit with two grades of mop and the finer finish being obtained with cream polish bar which is often seen in plastic polishing kits.

I have done many restorations on Bakelite even resorting to filing then rubbing down with wet and dry and have always managed to get a good finish not having any issue with the 'surface layer' mentioned in post 10.
Thanks Pip, good information. I'm not even sure - I'll stand corrected of course - that Bakelite has a separate surface coat or layer. I thought the moulding process 'simply' involved pouring the liquid Bakelite into the moulds and 'that was that' kind of thing? I know that women were employed to fettle the flash and maybe a degree of surface polishing was undertaken.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 3:25 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

Bakelite isn't a homogeneous product. It consists of a thermosetting resin and any of a number of different fillers from asbestos to sawdust. Mixture ratios vary. When moulded, there is usually a resin layer against the mould and this stops the surface being matt or even hairy.

So there isn't even one such thing as bakelite, there are different mixtures and ratios.

I have a professional low speed polishing machine with a variety of covers for the wheel. It looks like a large angle grinder but is geared much slower. With the abrasives I use (water based and ready mixed) I can still burn the surface of thermo-plastics and paints.

As I've never put it anywhere near thermosetting materials and Steve is most specifically wanting to hear from people who have done exactly what he's thinking of, I have no guidance to offer.

David
Old 9th Jul 2022, 4:04 pm   #16
pip5678
Pentode

I will add the that most of the Bakelite polishing I have done is on GPO type black 200 and 300 series phone casings and handsets, I haven't done much on the coloured variety and I understand some of them are made from diifferent materials. I have had similar success with DAC90A cabinets and various radio knobs which I have believed are Bakelite.

I have been able to remove deep scratches and finish off reprofiled edges that have been nibbled but you are able to apply a fair amount of pressure on the work against a bench mounted buffing wheel.

Worth noting Radio Wrangler's comment on asbestos but I am still alive to tell the tale.

Pip
Old 9th Jul 2022, 4:45 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Bakelite isn't a homogeneous product. It consists of a thermosetting resin and any of a number of different fillers from asbestos to sawdust. Mixture ratios vary. When moulded, there is usually a resin layer against the mould and this stops the surface being matt or even hairy.

So there isn't even one such thing as bakelite, there are different mixtures and ratios.

I have a professional low speed polishing machine with a variety of covers for the wheel. It looks like a large angle grinder but is geared much slower. With the abrasives I use (water based and ready mixed) I can still burn the surface of thermo-plastics and paints.

As I've never put it anywhere near thermosetting materials and Steve is most specifically wanting to hear from people who have done exactly what he's thinking of, I have no guidance to offer.

David
Thanks David, useful information.
Old 9th Jul 2022, 4:48 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip5678 View Post

Am I right in saying that you hold Bakelite pieces against the edge of 'grinding wheel', edgewise type mop? That seems fine, I get that, but have you done it with a large item like a Bakelite radio?
Old 9th Jul 2022, 5:12 pm   #19
Phil__G
Octode

When I were a lad, as a Post Office Telephones Apprentice, any minor misbehaviour was punished by a week in "wipe-up". This was a workshop dedicated to refurbishing used telephones, all done by hand, no polishing machines, using "Paste Polishing 1A" which was very much like thick Brasso. The early telephone bases and handsets were Bakelite and polishing would release a vile stink, the memory of which haunts me to this day.
A refurb would be indistinguishable from new - it had to be, or you'd be doing another week in 'Wipe-up'

Dont suppose this helps does it

Cheers
Phil
Old 9th Jul 2022, 5:20 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Interesting story Phil, and I've learned something new; 'Paste Polishing 1A', never heard of it before. Is it part of the Greygate family or in competition with it? eg made by 'Brasso'.