UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2022, 7:00 pm   #81
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Demagnetizing CD's !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
There are a number of problems with liquid helium. First is that the cooling power is almost entirely in the gas boiled off. It takes very little heat to boil and vaporize, but the gas takes a great deal of heat to warm up.

... I wouldn't use it to cryogenically process anything. Liquid nitrogen is amply good enough.
Not for cryo-treating CD's, it wouldn't be, I could guarantee that! Mo self-respecting audiophool would use LN2 if there was a more expensive, more exotic alternative...

But coming back to CD's, and magnetisation thereof, is there the remotest possibility that bit error rate, needing correction or (potentially audible) interpolation, could be affected due to the Faraday effect? I can't see it myself, but it's the only plausible mechanism I can think of so far.
Old 8th Oct 2022, 9:13 pm   #82
Radio Wrangler

If so, you could corner the market by selling them little "Faraday Screens" to surround their laser heads... would boron wire be exotic enough?

But this is all comedy. We all know real audiophiles don't touch CDs. They stick to stabby diamond things following plastic serpentines.

David
Old 8th Oct 2022, 9:35 pm   #83
Philips210
Nonode

OT but I am curious to know if it is possible for helium to enter a radio valve glass envelope and render it unserviceable.

Regards,
Symon
Old 8th Oct 2022, 10:58 pm   #84
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd think yes... Small bulbs for helium-rich atmospheres (diver's decompression chambers for instance) were made with super-thick glass.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 9:00 am   #85
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If so, you could corner the market by selling them little "Faraday Screens" to surround their laser heads... would boron wire be exotic enough?
Sounds good!

I'd go for bismuth wire, because it's diamagnetic (slipping in a bit of physics to add a bit of false credibility). Any reason to justify the boron would be welcomed!

I'm also thinking that each screen should come accompanied by a little compass, to align the CD player so the laser head tracks in an east-west direction. No point in demagnetising everything if there's a possibility of it getting magnetised again during use...
Old 9th Oct 2022, 9:11 am   #86
joebog1
Banned

What about elevation Kalee .
Sheesh !!!

Joe
Old 9th Oct 2022, 9:40 am   #87
Radio Wrangler

Elevation makes electrolytic capacitors dry out faster (actual fact from avionics!) so elevation might not be so good.

Otherwise the idea of a CD player suspended from a high altitude helium balloon, tethered by wires bringing the audio down to ground level would be appealing. Solar powered of course, needing a very long range remote control. Multidisc changers are so non-high-end that Igor will have to winch the balloon down to change discs.

Will also sell a LOT of high end interconnect cable.

david
Old 9th Oct 2022, 9:49 am   #88
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Otherwise the idea of a CD player suspended from a high altitude helium balloon, tethered by wires bringing the audio down to ground level would be appealing.
No, this is ridiculous. You have totally ignored the fact that to obtain the necessary audio quality the wires would have to be solid gold. You obviously are forgetting how heavy gold is. The weight of the high quality audio wiring would make getting the balloon off the ground quite impossible, so clearly not a practical solution.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 10:22 am   #89
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Elevation makes electrolytic capacitors dry out faster (actual fact from avionics!) so elevation might not be so good.

Otherwise the idea of a CD player suspended from a high altitude helium balloon

david
Slightly off topic, but having been involved in space vehicles, I have it written into my will that my ashes will go up in a metrological balloon to the edge of space and scattered up there.

So in the fullness of time, if you get some grit in your CD mechanism, it might be me ;-)

Craig

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 9th Oct 2022 at 10:29 am.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 10:57 am   #90
Cobaltblue

This has had a good run and really belonged in the Audiophoolery thread so it's time to close.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread