UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 27th May 2020, 9:43 pm   #401
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Did anyone spot the mistake on this evenings repair shop, the repairer lied about the eumig projector he was repairing saying the jumpy pic was due to a bit of fluff yet the glaringly obvious cause was he didn't leave a loop from the gate to the lower sprocket, I got told off for shouting liar at the telly by my wife hee hee. I paused it and showed her the little dotted line showing a loop has to be left on the film for the sprocket or it yanks it through the gate, how did I know? My dad had the same projector and I made the same mistake, later when the guy gets it back it has the lower loop when playing.
I should get out more
Not sure if I missed something, but the motor wasn't running, then he re-made an earth connection and it worked. That isn't right surely?
Old 27th May 2020, 9:46 pm   #402
Peter F4VSA
Diode

I enjoy watching the program, it's entertainment rather than educational. I prefer the furniture and art restorations rather than technology, I know nothing about these and can't pick holes!

Peter
Peter F4VSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2020, 11:48 pm   #403
The Philpott
Nonode

It's arguably a GOOD thing that errors and inconsistencies can be picked out by us, if 100% accuracy was achieved our brains would have less to do!

Massive contrast in integrity between TRS and 'Money for Nothing' -witness the -potentially- grisly end facing a very stout bearing puller (i switched off early in disgust as it reached the workshop of Chenevix-Trench as it looked like it was going to end up being a lamp stand.)

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 3:26 am   #404
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

I've stopped watching that prog; too frustrating that you are most unlikely to be able to learn from it. Also, it has something about it that makes me think it would have fitted in to the early evening Sunday TV made by Yorkshire in the 1970's .

B
Old 28th May 2020, 7:14 am   #405
vidjoman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not sure if I missed something, but the motor wasn't running, then he re-made an earth connection and it worked. That isn't right surely?
Back in the 50's & 60's German equipment like that Eumig projector would have had a red earth wire as standard on the lead supplied with the projector.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 7:50 am   #406
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Back in the 50's & 60's German equipment like that Eumig projector would have had a red earth wire as standard on the lead supplied with the projector.
Not sure what your point is regarding the colour of wires. My point is that he said that an earth wire was adrift etc - as I previously said.

BTW, as I've previously said, I love the programme and these faux pas are just how it is in order to produce a programme that is entertaining for the masses. As a restorer myself I would much rather the populous watch this than say X-factor. I loved the job that the lady did on that painting, and I do like to see the response of the owners. It is not meant to be a cold, clinical, 100% accurate tutorial on how to restore stuff, such a programme would have a much more limited appeal and less commercial success, which is the reason that programmes are made of course.
Old 28th May 2020, 8:15 am   #407
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I wonder if there are teddy bear repair or pottery or painting restoration forums where folk are equally good at spotting errors and inconsistencies?

Andy
M0FYA Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 9:36 am   #408
rontech
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Did anyone spot the mistake on this evenings repair shop, the repairer lied about the eumig projector he was repairing saying the jumpy pic was due to a bit of fluff yet the glaringly obvious cause was he didn't leave a loop from the gate to the lower sprocket, I got told off for shouting liar at the telly by my wife hee hee. I paused it and showed her the little dotted line showing a loop has to be left on the film for the sprocket or it yanks it through the gate, how did I know? My dad had the same projector and I made the same mistake, later when the guy gets it back it has the lower loop when playing.
I should get out more
I noticed the fluff thing and thought that if he had cleaned the projector properly there shoiuld not have been any fluff. I missed the loop issue but thought the shutter blades had maybe got out of sync with the pull down timing. That was a common cause of slipping pictures in projectors.

A couple of my friends had Eumigs back in the 1960's and they seemed very solid and reliable machines.
Old 28th May 2020, 11:58 am   #409
duncanlowe
Heptode

I have one of those Eumig P8s. It was my Dad's (I suppose it still is). I knew he hadn't threaded it properly when it jumped, I'd done it myself donkey's years ago. The only repair it will have needed will have been the belt, I can confirm the originals go gooey!

I'll have a look at the colours in the mains lead, when I find the lead!
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:27 pm   #410
PaulR
Nonode

I find the programme very entertaining and appreciate the skill of the experts particularly the "crafty" ones such as the furniture restorer, the leather worker, the upholsterer and the art restorer etc.

The more mechanical experts are good, however they have every tool imaginable available. It must be great to be able to "just turn one up" on a precision lathe or to have just the right saw to cut out a small piece of brass for something. They are obviously very skillful but having just the right equipment and materials to hand is helpful,