UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2020, 1:09 pm   #21
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Workshop lighting

They're usually wired in series-parallel groups, so the failure of one LED should only result in a small number being lost.

If you can't see the PCB layout clearly, you can get some idea of how they're wired by measuring the terminal voltage. As white LEDs typically drop around 3.5 to 4 volts, depending on how hard they're being driven, a supply voltage of around 12V implies they use series groups of 3. That's fairly typical, but I've seen anything between 1 (the whole strip runs from 3.5-4 volts) to 12 (the whole strip runs from roughly 45 volts).

I'd always assumed that LEDs would fail O/C, but I do have one interesting example where one acts as an LED electrically (so it is dropping the correct voltage, and the other LEDs in the series group are working correctly), but is emitting no light at all. It's true that LEDs can fade over time, but to suddenly lose all light output is curious.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 1:56 pm   #22
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Mark, my information is based on watching to much You tube. Guy opens a non working globe bulb to find one LED with a black spot in its centre which he actually bridges with solder (not to be recommended) I presumed all were wired like this and had not thought of series parallel circuit for the larger units.

John.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 2:03 pm   #23
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
they are both 600 X 300...... unfortunately the one in the main workshop has one led out.. showing a dark patch .... but as the light output is still sufficient its ok.
Your lucky. My understanding was, one out all out. These must be wired in parallel. I wonder if one LED out will upset the current or voltage supply resulting in the premature failure of the remaining LEDs.

John.
Some LED's have built-in shunts, very much like the old fairy light bulbs.
Modern Xmas light strings are starting to go down this route, one LED out instead of a metre section.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 6:05 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Am following this thread with interest, since I need to do something about the lighting in my 'office' - which is currently lit by the last two CFL 'bulbs' in the house.

Am thinking of the LED panels as mentioned upthread, but preferably going for something more-daylight-than-6500K: I've seen some that are claimed to be 10,000K.

I wonder if anyone's considered using scrap LEDs and drivers from car headlamps to give a really high-intensity illumination directly aimed at your workspace? Remember it's not just about Lumens, the Lux level at the work-surface is just as important; you can get a 'Luxmeter' app for your phone which is handy for measuring this. 700-1000 Lux is reckoned good for general office illumination - for detailed stuff [dentists, surgeons, SMD-placement] up to 1500 Lux is often recommended.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 8:49 pm   #25
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Am thinking of the LED panels as mentioned upthread, but preferably going for something more-daylight-than-6500K: I've seen some that are claimed to be 10,000K.
10000K is a deep blue colour.
Not something I'd want to be working under.

May be good for relaxing in the bath.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 11:33 pm   #26
Wendymott
Octode

Hi John...... Seems to be ticking along nicely If and when it fails I shall get another

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 10th Sep 2020, 12:22 am   #27
Glowing Bits!
Octode

If a light source is that blue, it'll be hurled outside!
The only downside with going higher than 6000K is the output, it will start dropping off rapidly.
A good example of the above is my motorbike headlight, it currently uses a HID bulb at 6000K, this gives the highest output before it starts turning blue (and becoming illegal in the process), whilst it only consumes 35W, it's double the output of a standard 55W, this does the job for my needs.
Before this goes too far off topic, inside a building has different needs to a vehicle.
6000K is good for bench lighting, 3500/4000K for kitchens, garages, bathrooms and 2700/3000K for everything else.

Last edited by Glowing Bits!; 10th Sep 2020 at 12:34 am.
Old 10th Sep 2020, 11:40 am   #28
Bear2Biker
Triode

Hi all, Just getting to the end of expanding & upgrading my shed into a combined workshop & I knew it would want more than the 3 fluorescent strips I've got, not wanting to get more of something that might eventually be phased out (tube replacements) & something more efficient, LED strips seemed the way to go for me.

A little bit of research & I worked out that with the possibility of fading over time & potentially my eyesight as well (I already need a light to work on small things) decided on 10 x 65w 5400lm, "Daylight" with milky covers, they've just arrived & how compact they are! opening them up there are 3 strips of LED's (these units come in 2 different wattage's) on an aluminium mounting plate which is earthed but hidden once fitted, 2 strips are run from one driver & then the other from a small additional driver just tacked onto the incoming mains (so gives me more options regarding brightness) I was going to use 9 of these and switch wise have 3 & 6 so if I'm just putting something away or working on something (bench, lathe, pillar drill, router, bike etc.) I've got light level choices.

I've yet to power them up & will probably lash up 3 temporarily in the shed to see what the output is like, I'm now thinking that 9 might be too many but we'll see. Both drivers loosely sit at one end in one of the plastic end caps, wrapped in a couple of turns of that thin yellow tape & I'm wondering as its a 65w model will the heat build up be significant, I can imagine that if I'm working in there the lights will be on for 5-6 hours, also should I be looking at the RIFA ratings as they seem quite small physically, what does the forum think?

Paul B
Old 10th Sep 2020, 9:25 pm   #29
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

UPDATE:

Fitted CPC Pro-Elec 600mm 45w (3600 lumens) panel 4000k to ceiling using two blocks of wood to hold in place ( havent got suspended ceiling and mounting kit is 50 quid! )

And it is amazing. Truly makes the room light. No shadows to be seen, no unruly glare.

I did take a quick peek at the psu supplied, it outputs 50v DC off load, 35v on load. It also has several wire links where the mains filtering should be! Radio Caroline reception not affected and general noise floor appears unaffected.
Didn't remove the cover as it was glued down, so couldn't definitely say if it is a switching supply, but from what I could see I believe it is.

All in all a happy bloke.

Emergency light unit hasn't arrived yet.

Mark
Old 10th Sep 2020, 10:15 pm   #30
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I'm not keen on the daylight LEDs they give a blue light, I do have two of them in our kitchen, also at the same time I bought two 5000K 10 inch lights fitted one in Daughters bathroom. It turned out to be a horrible green colour, I have since fitted a 4000k for Her to do makeup.

Mark, I'm pleased your happy with your LEDs.

John.
Old 11th Sep 2020, 9:07 am   #31
John10b
Nonode

Paul B that is some light output you’ve got , 10 x 5400 Lm, Let us know how you find it.
John
Old 11th Sep 2020, 12:39 pm   #32
Bear2Biker
Triode

Hi John,

Ooh Err, Oops I think I may have overestimated requirements, loosely tacked 3 units up, stood back and threw the switch, certainly "well lit" & "the big light" came to mind, I may have to rethink, the output is impressive, I wasn't expecting them to be so bright, so even and a pretty good angle of spread, the milky covers are needed otherwise it would be too sparkly, so now it might be install 6 units and utilise the seperate internal drivers to give me 1, 2 or 3 smd strips, the walls and ceiling were going to be painted white, though you won't see much wall for all the shelving.

As the colour rendition is ever-ever so slightly into the blue, I may paint in a slightly creamy colour to try and correct this, I've got loads of old emulsion so can try different shades, the workshop is now 8x16 (was 8x10) but will have my motorbike, garden tools and a 6ft workbench in along with 2/3 movable trolleys (lathe/grinder, pillar drill/cut off saw, router cabinet, table saw, sander, welders etc. you get the picture) all I've got to do now is finish insulating and cladding then do the electrics then the painting then the shelving.

Oh and in between, design, build and install somewhere (in the shed) a garden watering and pump control system as I collect all my rainwater for the 100's of plant containers I have, currently got 2150lt in storage tanks and want to get the collection butt's to automatically fill the storage tanks (stopping when full) and also provide a pressurised garden hose supply and there's some decanting to arrange too, so lots of level detectors, flow sensors and a few motorised valves, oh and a pump or maybe 2, good job I took early retirement!

Paul B
Old 11th Sep 2020, 6:02 pm   #33
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Paul B, good lighting makes all the difference.
John
Old 18th Sep 2020, 9:03 pm   #34
Julesomega
Nonode

I am desperately reliant on the brightest of bright lights to see what I'm doing and even more so to find anything, so for the workshop cum office I use a 50W high-bay unit on a hook by the ceiling rose. Such bliss

It's good here
Old 20th Sep 2020, 1:14 pm   #35
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Further UPdate:

After a few weeks of using the ProElec ( farnell/CPC) LED Panel, it does raise the RF noise floor by 10dB on some Amateur bands.

I will build a non switching power supply and update when I've tested.

Mark
Old 20th Sep 2020, 4:24 pm   #36
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I have on order three strings/length of LEDs for my workshop, they have an adhesive peel off backing, it says 12 volt working, nothing about the current though. I haven't sorted out how to terminate them, are there some "proper connection devices" available ? I intend to have three string, each stuck to a rafter in the workshop. In preparation, i bought some white plastic angle and have nailed it to the rafters and will stick each string to it. Not sure about the terminations any ideas. Ted
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 2:25 am   #37
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Are the LED strips the type that come on a roll?
If so, a 5 metre roll (depending in what LED chip is used) will be around 1A @ 12V.
Power packs can be found cheap on Ebay, go 1A over what you need and you're good to go.
As for termination, they require soldering, this is easy to do, unless it has a waterproof layer over it, they require a scalpel blade plus a whole load of dexterity.