UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2020, 7:15 am   #101
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: The most horrid connector ever...

If I can slightly extend this to a group of connectors then I guess, as I use them often, it has to be USB connectors. Seems every device I get needs a slightly different version and fitting them tends to be "try to push in, doesn't fit, turn 180 degrees and try again, doesn't fit, turn 180 degrees again, now it fits!!! The only one that fits first time is the rounded off square one often used by early external hard drives which tend to be so loose that if a butterfly coughs in the Amazon the disturbance is enough to cause the drive to disconnect.

I don't know most of the connector types by name (I have my own names but I dare not print them here) but if previous post's F-type is that connector with a thread on the outside often used for video and RF these days then I must admit my swear box swells considerably when I have to make up a lead.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 13th Aug 2020, 8:55 am   #102
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
If I can slightly extend this to a group of connectors then I guess, as I use them often, it has to be USB connectors. Seems every device I get needs a slightly different version and fitting them tends to be "try to push in, doesn't fit, turn 180 degrees and try again, doesn't fit, turn 180 degrees again, now it fits!!! The only one that fits first time is the rounded off square one often used by early external hard drives which tend to be so loose that if a butterfly coughs in the Amazon the disturbance is enough to cause the drive to disconnect.

TTFN,
Jon
I got so frustrated in trying to find which obscure end to a USB plug fitted a piece of gear, I sorted them and then stored each type in a transparent pencil case (zipped variety from Rapid). So I can see what is in each case and make a decision what to use. Or try using.

https://www.rapidonline.com/helix-m7...r-30cm-34-2532

Also useful for storing parts (like croc clips, P clips etc) or oscilloscope probes.

I did not bother labelling the cases with the type of USB end, because the letter designation is meaningless. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware shows what a minefield it is.

Craig
Old 13th Aug 2020, 9:54 am   #103
Radio Wrangler

As part of a presentation, I was giving a run down on various RF connectors and mentioned what the letters stood for.

"What does F stand for, then?" I'd missed that one quite intentionally. Can't stand them!

"Very Bad" was my reply.

The room dissolved into laughter.

David
Old 13th Aug 2020, 11:18 am   #104
Refugee
Dekatron

With F connectors does the "F" not stand for the first letter of the most commonly muttered word by whoever is making them up.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 11:43 am   #105
turretslug
Dekatron

OK, a word or two in defence of F connectors.... I think of them as the RF companion of screw terminal strip ("choc-bloc"), intended for one-time cost-effective installation use in connecting up TV-sort-of-frequency installations of multi-output amps, passive splitters, diplexers and so on for consumers where the time and expense of fitting a load of N-types or whatever would be both unwelcome and unnecessary. I like the concept of the cable inner being the centre pin for something that's going to be plugged in once and left that way, minimum number of metal type changes and junctions compared to crimp or solder pin types, and also maintaining minimum profile change for good impedance matching and VSWR- much nicer than the traditional Belling-Lee in that respect. Cheap, low-profile and quick and easy to install- just what Joe Average consumer wants, and brings pretty good performance within its intended usage, too.

True, you need to have exactly the right crimp collar and tool for the cable type, or exact screw-on size ditto- but that's true of many co-ax connectors anyway. The threading-up takes a bit of care and attention as mentioned above- pretty much the same with other threaded types- TNC, SMA, PL-259- though.

Fine as a one-time installation connector- don't expect to treat it like the BNCs on yer 'scope or frequency counter!
Old 13th Aug 2020, 12:18 pm   #106
unitelex
Hexode

Connectors for flexi circuits, eg LCD panels. Especially the ones that are either so tight the flexi is damaged after a couple of mating cycles, or those with the weak locking strip that breaks at the end, or any where it is not clear which side has the contacts or missing conductor 1 marking...
Old 13th Aug 2020, 9:41 pm   #107
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
True, you need to have exactly the right crimp collar and tool for the cable type, or exact screw-on size ditto- but that's true of many co-ax connectors anyway.
Yes I agree. And decent crimp connectors, and the correct tool are pennies in the scheme of things.But I always failed to find the right fitting screw on connectors for a cable. Maybe I wasnt persistent enough, particulaly after finding decent quality crimp ones.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 11:29 pm   #108
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
OK, a word or two in defence of F connectors.... I think of them as the RF companion of screw terminal strip ("choc-bloc"), intended for one-time cost-effective installation use in connecting up TV-sort-of-frequency installations of multi-output amps, passive splitters, diplexers and so on for consumers where the time and expense of fitting a load of N-types or whatever would be both unwelcome and unnecessary. I like the concept of the cable inner being the centre pin for something that's going to be plugged in once and left that way, minimum number of metal type changes and junctions compared to crimp or solder pin types, and also maintaining minimum profile change for good impedance matching and VSWR- much nicer than the traditional Belling-Lee in that respect. Cheap, low-profile and quick and easy to install- just what Joe Average consumer wants, and brings pretty good performance within its intended usage, too.

True, you need to have exactly the right crimp collar and tool for the cable type, or exact screw-on size ditto- but that's true of many co-ax connectors anyway. The threading-up takes a bit of care and attention as mentioned above- pretty much the same with other threaded types- TNC, SMA, PL-259- though.

Fine as a one-time installation connector- don't expect to treat it like the BNCs on yer 'scope or frequency counter!
I agree that once you have an F connector done up right it's normally a good performer, staying tight and preventing the cable from being accidentally pulled out. Just not so good for things that are frequently plugged in & out.
Old 14th Aug 2020, 10:50 am   #109
turretslug
Dekatron

Definitely need nipping up tight with the 7/16" AF/11mm spanner, otherwise screen continuity is liable to the same inconsistency/long-term degradation as the PL-259 types- ideally a more-or-less gas-tight clamping of the two flanges, effectively impossible with the castellated SO-239 socket.
Old 14th Aug 2020, 9:43 pm   #110
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I cannot stand the massive range of very similar USB plug/socket connectors. It was fine with the original rectangular connectors and the square end for the printer but there seems now to be a multitude of similar but ever so slightly different shaped collars which when you have multiple devices, I always get the wrong one, then find it is 180 degrees out because it is nearly rectangular.
This fortnight's Computer Active magazine has a two page article about the multiple different types of USB connector and how to make sure you buy the correct lead!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Aug 2020, 9:46 pm   #111
Red to black
Nonode

Pity they never lived up to the first part of their name 'Universal'
Old 14th Aug 2020, 10:16 pm   #112

Quote:
Pity they never lived up to the first part of their name 'Universal'
I have (well had now) lots of spare USB leads they are universally used as plant ties by SWIMBO.

Old 14th Aug 2020, 10:49 pm   #113
Red to black
Nonode

Lol I like that btw I am going to make up another sexist anagram for 'She whom will be obeyed' lol that if she lets me
Old 15th Aug 2020, 12:47 am   #114
ben
Dekatron

Yet another vote of no confidence for SCART!
For me the worst thing is having to battle to try and connect one in low visibility behind equipment. You just can't do it! You try and locate it in the socket right way up, can never align the damn metal shield with the socket...try other way up and still no joy...At least with RCA /Phonos you can plug 'em in blindfolded!

Another problem, on some sets the SCART socket was recessed, meaning some chunkier plugs would not fit in them. Had this recently with a mid 90s Grundig set.

I have repaired dozens of TVs where the entire socket was dry jointed, probably due to poor/no anchoring of the socket to chassis but also to the weight of the cable coupled with more than half a dozen connect/disconnect cycles...

As has been said the idea of an integrated connector with audio, video, input select and multiple signal types was great, but the execution was appalling. And that's before we get onto the cable weight in the good ones that actually had individually screened leads, versus the lighter cables that were manageable bit gave poor, noisy video due to lack of screening. And the flimsy/ bending/ disappearing pins...
Old 15th Aug 2020, 7:11 am   #115
Radio Wrangler

I always thought SCART pins looked to be made from recycled tinplate from beans cans.

USB is easily understood once you realise the U is for Ununiversal.

I've recently treated myself to a new camera. The USB port on it promises staggering speeds, the new software it needed on my laptop offers 'tethered shooting' where you can drive the camera from the computer and isn't anywhere near as cruel as it sounds.

Yet another variant of USB cable. At least the macbook pro has the right connector for it, but to get the speed up to what they advertise, the cable that came with the camera is only 0.5m long! Now, the port on the camera and the port on the computer are positioned such that almost all those 500mm are spent going round the camera to get to the computer, or else it has to be tethered with the lens side pointing at the photographer....

I assume longer cables are possible, but at a hit on speed.

Meanwhile, I think I'll have to set it up to use its LAN port instead and that means RJ connecters with their ultra-fragile latches.

David
Old 15th Aug 2020, 8:04 am   #116
stacman
Hexode

Re USB, ‘Nostalgia Nerd’ on youtube looks at the different types and evolution of the USB connector,
https://youtube.com/watch?v=36CKsP9YQ1E
Old 15th Aug 2020, 9:45 am   #117
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

My better half was having problems plugging the charger into her iPad. I had a close look at the socket with a magnifying glass to find that the last lead she had used had shed the metal shell of the connector, and that was lodged in the socket!

Surgery with fine needle nosed pliers finally extracted the offending shell.

Craig
Old 15th Aug 2020, 10:00 am   #118
McMurdo
Dekatron

scart
Old 15th Aug 2020, 11:51 am   #119
stevehertz
Dekatron

Not difficult to make off, but very likely to be a poor, wobbly connection with it's matching socket is the DIN speaker plug.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 2:32 pm   #120
AC/HL
Dekatron

The ribbon SCART leads are better in all respects, but any "value engineered" connector without locking facilities is certain to deteriorate with age and (mis)use.
Closed Thread