UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:29 am   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default ABS Slot

I need to cut a rectangular slot 12mm x 8mm in an ABS box for a rocker switch.

I'm considering just drilling some holes and clearing out the corners with a small file(s) - anyone one know a reliable source for such a small file(s)?

A junior hacksaw blade was my second option?

I have a Dremel and did think about using a cutting disk but I had visions of that going very wrong with such a small slot!
Old 12th Sep 2020, 12:03 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: ABS Slot

CPC list seven different items under 'Needle Files' https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/tools-ma...e=inc-in-stock. I'm sure other tool stockists would have them too. Look for 'needle files' or 'warding files'.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 12th Sep 2020, 3:49 pm   #3
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
CPC list seven different items under 'Needle Files' https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/tools-ma...e=inc-in-stock. I'm sure other tool stockists would have them too. Look for 'needle files' or 'warding files'.
Thanks GJ - didn't know what they were called.

Just ordered a set.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 4:22 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Just done one like that; effortless with my Minidrill (not a Dremell)and a small burr. Couldn't survive without it.

B
Old 12th Sep 2020, 4:24 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

You're welcome. I've been at this hobby for years and still I sometimes can't find a supplier for the bust thing I'm holding in my hand because I don't know what the people who make it call it . I can remember the days when I'd just show it to the chap behind a shop counter ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 12th Sep 2020, 4:32 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Nowadays I normally just use a small slot drill in the milling machine (actually a lathe + vertical slide) but that's not an option for everybody.

Before that I'd drill the corner holes as you suggest but then drill a large (in this case 7.5mm or 8mm if you think you can get the latter accurately enough placed to remove a lot of the waste. Then I could use 'normal' size files (rather then needle files0 to do a lot of the work which I found a lot easier and quicker.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 5:21 pm   #7

One small hole and a fret saw?

Old 12th Sep 2020, 7:09 pm   #8
buggies
Heptode

I did a largish rectangle in an ABS box for an LCD recently - string of drill holes then an Abrafile to join them up and finished with normal hand filing.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:35 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have done most of the above with success. The important part is accurately marking. I stick a sticky label over where I'm about to cut, pencil the outline of intended hole. When satisfied, I LIGHTLY cut through the paper JUST into ABS with a Stanley knife and steel ruler. Once I have removed most of the ABS remove the paper then file up to the knife mark.

For round holes I find a step drill is the best, no tearing of ABS especially larger holes up to around 30mm.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 12th Sep 2020 at 11:46 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 7:36 am   #10

For my last project that needed a few illuminated rocker switches I used round ones. Made life a lot easier! Marlin did a nice range in many colours both LED and neon.

Old 13th Sep 2020, 9:45 am   #11
Julesomega
Nonode

Don't file/saw freehand, use a straightedge to define the cut. Vice jaws are ideal but it's usually difficult to clamp a box, or scrap steel bar clamped to your box

It's good here
Old 13th Sep 2020, 10:33 am   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Don't use a Dremel with a cutting disk. The ABS melts around the cut and you lose accuracy. Been there, done it once. I usually carefully mark out, chain drill and then use a file.

Oh for a milling machine!

Craig
Old 13th Sep 2020, 10:39 am   #13
peterpixel
Pentode

Stick a piece of paper over the proposed hole and mark out the shape. Then using a 1mm bit in a minidrill drill the corner holes. Drill a line of holes between the corners following the contours of the hole. Then using the side flutes of the drill link up the holes to remove the waste between the holes and the centre of the switch hole can be removed. I have used this method for many years with success. You have to be careful not to apply too much sideways pressure on the drill otherwise it will snap. Also do not allow too much heat to build up as the plastic will attach itself to the bit increasing its diameter. Finish off with a scalpel or file.

Happy drilling, Peter.
Closed Thread