UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2019, 1:37 am   #1
brunel
Heptode

Default Hidden Vintage Electronics Shop: Chester Electronics, Kenosha Wisconsin

https://youtu.be/VAs7adDdcaQ
Old 18th Nov 2019, 7:16 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Hidden Vintage Electronics Shop: Chester Electronics, Kenosha Wisconsin

Halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. A bit far for us to organise a coach trip...

To hell with going to Disneyland, cruising route 66, the beaches of Florida and cities named twice. THIS is a US holiday destination!

Their costs per square foot of retail space must be orders of magnitude less than in the UK.

David
Old 18th Nov 2019, 9:23 am   #3
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Hidden Vintage Electronics Shop: Chester Electronics, Kenosha Wisconsin

This sort of place reminds me of another one that I visit sometimes when I'm in Florida, Skycraft Parts, complete with a flying saucer and a few rockets outside. All sorts of interesting stuff inside, it really is as interesting as it looks.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/uv?hl...oiowDHoECBwQBg
Old 18th Nov 2019, 3:38 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Skycraft.... hadn't heard of that one.

I love it.

And part way down that string of photos, there on a shelf is an HP Microwave Link Analyser (the transmitter box only) I was the manufacturing engineer for those for several years and wrote the final production change order making them obsolete. Only ever made at South Queensferry.

David
Old 18th Nov 2019, 5:06 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Argus, any good shops in Oz, especially Melbourne ?

Ed
Old 18th Nov 2019, 7:06 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

The 14 to 16 minute section looks most interesting to me. Reminds me a bit of Brian Bamber and his Anglia Industrial Auctions. Anyone ever visit them? I did. Still have "bargains" I bought but still haven't found a use for after 30 years!
Looking at the Skycraft prices on some relays and switches just reminds me. Anything you have, no matter how exotic, rare or whatever it cost, is only worth what people are prepared to pay. Often, not a lot! Just look at some of the items sometimes offered on this forum with no interest!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 18th Nov 2019 at 7:13 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 7:15 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Great shop, but the camera waving action gives me motion sickness. I managed to watch nearly half way through before I switched it off.

John.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 8:48 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

I will be dreaming about shopping in a store like that in the UK tonight. My regular youtube tv-repairer Shango066 sometimes takes video of his shopping trips for spare parts in LA and they have a similar-looking place there. They always say things are alot bigger in America!
Old 18th Nov 2019, 9:54 pm   #9

I remember Bambers in Littleport, a TV shop and just down the road the surplus "shop" all sorts of wonders for me as a teenager. I think their main job was dealing in large scale surplus stock. There was a section of odd and miscellaneous stuff, heaven!

Old 19th Nov 2019, 8:57 am   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Argus, any good shops in Oz, especially Melbourne ?

Ed
I cannot think of one off hand.

There was a great Electronics shop up at the top of Queen St in Auckland city NZ, up until a year or two ago sadly. About 10 years back they were selling new old stock AVO meters and had plenty of valves and transistors.

I think in the UK you are lucky to have Langrex, I have never been there but ordered parts, like OC16's. A fellow who went there told me it was like an Aladdin's Cave.

Also, many years ago in Auckland there was an electronics store called The Electrical Equipment Company. But nobody ever called it that. Every person interested in electronics in Auckland that I met all called it by the same name:

"Alice's Restaurant"...

Because you could get anything you wanted there. The man who ran it always wore a casual style bowler hat. If you asked him for any obscure part, say some oddball Thyratron with a CV number, he would produce it in less than a minute. I never managed to stump him on a part.

It does make you miss places like this.

Also I used to wander in to John Stokes radio shop in Auckland and ask him about some valve or circuit. He always wore a grey overcoat. He never had to look anything up, he'd come up with also sorts of detail about it, who made it and when, how to get the best out of it and what its specs were.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 11:07 am   #11
donutty
Pentode

Dang.. I was probably 10 miles away from that place 2 months ago when I was working in Racine, WI !!!

But I am back in Chicago next month so maybe I could pop in...
Closed Thread