UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:51 pm   #41
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: What's your winter project?

For the moment, dropping temperatures are concentrating my mind on partitioning the loft. Attempting to heat the northern hemisphere is proving to be impossible.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 7:08 pm   #42
DonaldStott
Octode

As we continue to see the warning signs of Global Warming I'm wondering if I should go about ordering my row of vines to plant up here in Glasgow?

Too soon ...?

Meantime, I've got to get that Kolster-Brandes MR10 finished and move on to my ToDo pile, in no particular order: -

Roberts R303
Philco A535W
Dansette Conquest
HMV 101 portable gramophone
HMV 102 portable gramophone
Acoustic Research 28S speakers to re-foam, re-wire and re-cap
Heathkit Signal Generator
Velleman k7000 signal injector/tracer - stopped working?
Raspberry Pi and Volumio music player
Bush TR82/B

Various other network points to make live; speaker cables to extend and fix; new mains leads to construct.

And for the audiophiles (audiofools!) among us I'm waiting for Linn Products to release Space Optimisation Version 2 for Exakt ...!
Old 31st Oct 2019, 7:30 pm   #43
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Get the vines!Though it was -5C when I was up Killin last week.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 9:21 pm   #44
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

My to do pile just got 2 more jobs added! A Pure Evoke flow DAB radio with a duff OLED display, you can still see the display in a dark room, sound quality is good! And the other is a Roberts RD50 DAB radio, which needs re-covering since the original black leatherette stuff fell apart and turned sticky, a bit like that horrible rubber paint does. I’ve got some dark coloured denim to cover it!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 31st Oct 2019, 11:27 pm   #45
kalee20
Dekatron

One right now - a super-regen FM front-end, based around an ECC81 (RF amp + SR detector). I am working on a design here to cut my teeth on before branching out myself (aim to use TV VHF tuner valves).
Old 31st Oct 2019, 11:50 pm   #46
Hartley118
Nonode

I hope to return to restoring my Garrard ‘high fidelity’ 78 head from the RC60, which I first mentioned here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...54#post1136154 , Sadly, it found its way onto the ‘too difficult’ shelf because of its stage of deterioration. But I have ambitions to rebuild it in order to find out just how good was this 1940s milestone in audio quality.

Martin
Old 7th Nov 2019, 3:39 pm   #47
Electricdreams
Hexode

Currently I am working on a CVC8 on loan from Bobby Ball.

So far I've repaired the cracks in the colour mod board, repaired the control panel, cleaned up the switches and of course had to take the power switch apart to clean it (what a nightmare). Just a matter of recapping now then putting back together.

Another is to get a converter and have the Philips 1200u running with Amazon Firestick (has anyone tried this?) and of course sort out the Head Servo issue on a Sanyo VTC-5600p.

Paul
Old 8th Nov 2019, 2:38 am   #48
bobbyball
Octode

Where do I begin

Having just had to clear my late father's house of all my "conveniently forgotten about" effects and half finished projects, I have an influx of all things electronic and lots of ready re-polished cabinets waiting to be re-united with their not yet restored works.

I need to retire...
Old 24th Nov 2019, 3:05 pm   #49
avocollector
Heptode

Another shed to build, windows to fix/paint and general house maintenance to do. On the electronics side a Heathkit OC 11 scope to recap, a faulty Heathkit VTM to sort, several 'finds' to restore, some Avos (Mostly 8 mk 5 and 6) to troubleshoot. OK not winter here in NZ I know but comfortable for that sort of thing.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 5:58 pm   #50
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Let me say,when you retire you will wonder then how the heck you found time to work!
Old 24th Nov 2019, 7:53 pm   #51
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I've got a Mullard O.A.B. 7600/4 to restore, a Walder & Goltermann SPM30 Level Meter (to collect from Hampshire & waiting to hear from Telford Electronics re service manuals!), a Wharfedale amplifier my friend bought from the house clearance shop, a Rigonda Bolshoi Stereogram, a pile off impulse–buy surround sound/home theatre receivers with assorted faults, etc., and that's before I begin on the twenty Oscilloscopes and innumerable smaller pieces of gear I've collected over the years!

Chris Williams
Old 28th Nov 2019, 7:48 am   #52
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I have several Tektronix 500 series scopes that need restoring, a few amplifiers to build, a mixing desk to restore but like Sisyphus the main task is trying to keep my workshop tidy. I have a mad tidying session, clean, clutter free benches, a floor you can walk on without tripping over tfmr's or drills, then next day the piles of tat have magically reappeared.

Andy.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:36 pm   #53
Tim
Dekatron

A few that I have been waiting to do.

Restore Heathkit AC millivolt meter
Restore Heathkit VOM
Build ESR meter
Design and build signal tracer
Design and build ( probably valve) small bench amp.
Transform scope type tester thing found at work into a curve tracer.
Investigate Telefunken S80 amp I have had on the “in” pile for 11 months.

And that’s just the stuff I can remember.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:06 pm   #54
Bobsound
Tetrode

My next main project is to build a pre-amp/control unit for the valve stereo power amp I built some years ago. At the moment it is fed through a Quad 44 pre-amp but the new unit will include digital inputs (using a chinese DAC), line level inputs and an RIAA input. The other major project will be to build a digital organ into an exisitng console. That should keep me busy!
Bob
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:18 pm   #55
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

. . .And now I'm hopeful of adding a Speccy Analyzer to the Winter Project List!

Chris Williams
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:45 pm   #56
MurphyNut
Heptode

A few jobs, having a look at my Pye Black box, it's decided to go all silent on me.
I have a lovely McMichael model 362 that I restored early this year and got working well, it needs revisiting, I changed all the wax caps but left the smoothing capacitor block, it has recently decided to fail.....should have done it first time around.
I like to keep on top of my vintage stuff, 90% of it works, striving for 100%....but I know that will never happen!
Old 30th Nov 2019, 2:18 pm   #57
electronicskip
Nonode

Ha!
You just reminded me i too have a black box to fiddle with over the winter.
Its buried under a pile of Philips N1700s and in all honesty i had forgotten about it.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 11:27 pm   #58
Tim
Dekatron

Build an ESR meter.
Sort the intermittent triggering problem on the Philips scope.
Repair various items of test gear before I can even start on the radios.
Build an HT psi/ battery eliminator for battery sets
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 12:26 am   #59
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I realized one problem I was experiencing was building more and more complex projects, especially for vintage computer work and while it was fun, something happened that made me realize that building something simpler might be even more fun and remind me of why I got interested in electronics in the first place. I have built at least 4 superhet AM/SW radios in the past of varying complexity so I didn't want to make another.

Part of this was the infectious enthusiasm of another member Jolly_7 for AM radios and radios using a single IC.

So I decided my Christmas project would be to build a simple MW band TRF radio in the style of a home crafted radio that a young enthusiast might have made back in the 1970's and out of materials and parts I had in the workshop.

A trip down memory lane perhaps and a thought and practical experiment of what could be done with components of that era.

Except its hot and summery here yesterday hit 30 deg C, so it is hardly a "winter" project.

When its done I'll post it.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 12:00 am   #60
martin.m
Hexode

I really must brave the cold and sort out my loft room/man cave. Not a pretty sight at the moment. I need to repair the good stuff and get rid of the junk. Easier said than done. The picture shows the tidy part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	194782  

Last edited by martin.m; 3rd Dec 2019 at 12:04 am. Reason: More information
Closed Thread