UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 26th May 2021, 12:04 pm   #2341
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

I have just been reading various comments from above and that wathifi twaddle. Till now I kept away from commenting on the posts of 117 pages..but I cannot hold myself anymore..Up "T" North, we expect value for money, we / I dont accept "B******t" , normally..I have TWO Commercial radio's.... both for comparison purposes... as the noise background is S8/S9 on the HF bands........ so I will NEVER Buy one of those comparable expensive transceivers, where a lot of Radio amateurs have bigger wallets than brains. Personal choice.. yes..but mine. Anyway I have cloth ears

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Wendymott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 1:03 am   #2342
majoconz
Heptode

Quote:
The quantum spacer is a film made of 11 different chemical materials mixed with silicone.
Should have a nice shiny finish then.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 11:46 am   #2343
mark_in_manc
Octode

From an engineering point of view, definitively not Audio-phoolery - but yesterday I was driving through a somewhat posher suburb than the one in which I live, and I am sure I saw a sign outside a beautician place saying 'Radio Frequency Facial'. This sounds like an unlikely sales pitch to me; then again, people continue to irradiate themselves with UV for reasons of personal appearance despite the known concerns, and perhaps this is a corner of the marketplace where a hi-tech science-y promotion pulls in the punters.

Next month, polychlorinated biphenyl enemas.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 12:26 pm   #2344
GrimJosef
Dekatron

There's been a trade for years in laser skin treatment - not the genuine medical sort, but the beautician variety. They're very proud of the fact that they use Class 1 lasers.

The formal definition of a Class 1 laser is that it's sufficiently low-powered that it has no physiological effect.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 1:34 pm   #2345
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
From an engineering point of view, definitively not Audio-phoolery - but yesterday I was driving through a somewhat posher suburb than the one in which I live, and I am sure I saw a sign outside a beautician place saying 'Radio Frequency Facial'. This sounds like an unlikely sales pitch to me; then again, people continue to irradiate themselves with UV for reasons of personal appearance despite the known concerns, and perhaps this is a corner of the marketplace where a hi-tech science-y promotion pulls in the punters.

Next month, polychlorinated biphenyl enemas.
Pre-war, my maternal grandmother was a physiotherapist with a leaning towards diathermy, a technique that struck me as hovering kinda close to Frankensteinian sorcery- especially when it involved an 800W 50MHz push-pull oscillator running from 2.5kV. Inside the machine was classic '20s era bare copper wire with neatly paralleled and right-angled runs. I'm sure the large DH triodes involved would have had the 'phools drooling.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 3:15 pm   #2346
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Inside the machine was classic '20s era bare copper wire with neatly paralleled and right-angled runs. I'm sure the large DH triodes involved would have had the 'phools drooling.
Phew, you rescued us from my tangent - back on topic
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 4:57 pm   #2347
avocollector
Heptode

One of the more fun 'audiophoolery' things in the 70's for guitarists were strings called 'Nashville straights'. You see the blurb went when your string is coiled in a packet, it is distorted in cross section and will not vibrate truly (even thought there is probably about 120lb of tension pulling it straight when it was on the guitar). So Nashville straights came straight in 40 inch long boxes and were NOT coiled up like normal strings. Furthermore each one was sealed in a plastic cover and I think they were cryogenically treated 'for extra brilliance'. They were not around for long.

Another fun guitar related thing was a special liquid you could paint on your IC's and transistors in a solid state amp and it would give you a 'valve sounding' amp - that also vanished fairly quickly.
avocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 5:52 pm   #2348

Quote:
that also vanished fairly quickly.
Evaporated?
Old 11th Jun 2021, 5:52 pm   #2349
greg_simons
Octode

Something lost in translation here!, most valves listed here are poisonous or toxic, not quite sure what they're trying to convey but it ain't pleasant.
Greg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-06-11-17-46-30-248.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	235726  
Old 12th Jun 2021, 8:37 pm   #2350
Herald1360
Dekatron

Maybe they're intended for killer applications?
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2021, 10:28 pm   #2351
mark_in_manc
Octode

Perhaps, in a rather subtle way, they're telling us there's something fishy (ahem) about the 'made in France' claim?
Old 17th Jun 2021, 12:38 pm   #2352
stevehertz
Dekatron

Here's a couple of audiopool (audiophile?) phrases that have both confused and entertained me for years:

Great sense of timing
Slow (when applied to anything other than an amp)
Old 17th Jun 2021, 12:54 pm   #2353
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Here's a couple of audiopool (audiophile?) phrases that have both confused and entertained me for years:

Great sense of timing
If that phrase confuses you, then you've obviously never tried to integrate a subwoofer with stand-mount loudspeakers!

Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2021, 2:09 pm   #2354
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post

Great sense of timing
If that phrase confuses you, then you've obviously never tried to integrate a subwoofer with stand-mount loudspeakers!

I have done that, yes. But explain, please do.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 9:26 pm   #2355
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

I can explain: Just some words missing!

"Poisonous when swallowed. Keep out of reach of children!"
Joe_Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2021, 10:39 pm   #2356
kevinaston1
Hexode

Mid to late 80's, my company introduced the Digitech DSP128 guitar processor.

One of our salesmen called me to say one of his dealers would place a massive order with him if I could write a pre-reverb programme. Pre-reverb was produced by running a second tape signal ahead of the first, and applying reverb to the "ghost" signal.

I thought this was some kind of wind up, and so I played along with the conversation for a while. No, he kept coming back to the pre-reverb signal.

So let me get this straight, I said. You want a programme which will anticipate the next note the guitarist is about to play, and generate a reverberated signal of this?

Yes, he said, exactly.

Well I said. If I could do this, do you not think I would write a similar programme to give me the winning lottery numbers?

Twenty seconds silence until he put the telephone down.
kevinaston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2021, 10:58 pm   #2357
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Yes, he said, exactly.
At this point he was probably so very much pleased that you'd understood what he was getting at.

Actually, you could do it. It's just that the guitarist would need one separate pedal for each chord/note he could play, and that he'd have to tap the right one just at the right time before he played. If the pedal also did the note itself, there would be less need for the guitar...

David
Old 18th Jun 2021, 12:12 am   #2358
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

We were at an Eagles concert pre-Covid, and because of the distance to remote places in the audience (like where we were) there were monster screens showing the band.

The problem was, the visible playing on the stage was out of sync with what was on the screen - it looked really weird. Until I twigged what was happening.

The image from the screen goes at speed of light to the audience member (so pretty much instantaneous). But the sound took perhaps 0.3 seconds to arrive. So the video signal is delayed with respect to the sound by 0.3 seconds so that everything is back in sync. Anyone sufficiently close to the stage to not need the screens simply sees the band and the sound live.

I told this to my 36 year old son, a guy who has been to several big music festivals. He replied that it was obvious, and big venues have done that for quite a long time.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2021, 1:23 am   #2359
nickdoofah
Banned

But with these incredible speakers, The stereo image snapped into focus! One of my 1980's bugbears every time I read it in a certain monthly publication!
nickdoofah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:13 am   #2360
Radio Wrangler

That implies that the loudspeakers are reading the listener's mind, so that they can servo control the sound they present to get a coherent image to appear.

This is scary.

Mind reading seems perilously close to mind control. Maybe the whole of audiophoolery is the speakers doing it to us? or just the more susceptible of us, and that it's a loudspeaker's way of propagating its ilk as an audiophile buys speaker after speaker in search of his ideal, spreading his used ones out onto the secondhand market?

David