View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2022, 9:28 pm   #192
Pfraser
Pentode

Default Re: What's good about tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Not a domestic format, but NAB Carts used in broadcast ran at 7.5 ips and sounded
great, with good tape longevity. Initial format was 2 track mono (audio+cue) then 3 track
stereo (L+R+cue) and unlike 8-track the pinch roller was part of the deck on a hinge
and moved into a cutout on the underside of the cart. I think maximum time was 30 min.
I have an ITC triple-stack recorder, the option is for the end of one jingle to start the
next. Exceptional build quality, and instant start.
In a previous life, I worked for a commercial radio station in the days before computers had fully penetrated the industry. We relied on NAB cartridges for daily playout of commercials and jingles. We ran 24/7, notwithstanding maintenance downtimes.

The carts were impressively durable, both in terms of playback and general ruggedness. The tape is made to rub against itself on every play, as well as the run through the machine. Yet tape jams were rare. A cart would usually carry on in service until the playback audio had gradually deteriorated too much!

The machines certainly improved over the years. The Harris models we bought became smaller and quieter in operation; we invested in Sonifex kit later on and they were quieter still.