View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2020, 5:29 pm   #17
FRANK.C
Heptode

Default Re: What standards converter?

Hi Steve
The original Hedghog used a EP2C5T144 FPGA development board. I got reports from constructors that the boards that were on the market were of varying quality and that it was a bit of a lucky dip if you got a good one or not. That coupled with the fact that it was probable that at some point the boards would be no longer be made lead to the development of Hedghog II.

Hedghog II doesn't use a development board instead it has has the FPGA mounted directly on the PCB. It uses a more modern Cyclone IV FPGA were Hedghog Mk1 used a Cyclone II. There are some circuit changes but nothing major. The only difference in features is that Hedghog II can be used as a System A modulator. There is no real difference in performance between them.

Now that there is a Mk1 and Mk2 a constructor can choose between constructing a Mk1 which is a little easier to construct and chancing their luck with the FPGA board or construct a Mk2 and purchasing all the components from a reliable source.

Constructing a Mk1 or Mk2 is no small task and I take my hat off to all those that have done so. In their shoes I am not so sure that I'd be brave enough to take it on.

I use a set box all the time with a standards converter but not for off air. I use it with a USP stick and record what ever I need to the stick. A stick can hold a lot of film's. I also have a range of test cards on it.

Frank