View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2022, 5:12 pm   #39
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette HiFi Mk2 smoking amplifier

Quote:
By 'dead', I meant I was getting no readings from them
Strictly speaking, when you make a test you always get a reading, even if it is off the scale of the meter range you are testing with. What I infer here is that the resistors you tested were open-circuit, and while certain types can go open-circuit by themselves it is unusal. Resistors that have been overheated or grossly stressed and gone open-circuit usually point at faults elsewhere and can offer important diagnostic evidence. E.g. a cooked cathode resistor in the output stage points at a faulty coupling capacitor from the preceding stage or possibly valve. Which resistors, specifically, were open-circuit?

Take care with that soldering. The joints on the rectifier look a bit flimsy and whilst the fact that you seem to have HT more or less shows that those are making contact, it only takes one dry joint on the PCB where a component has been replaced to stop the thing working. FWIW it still looks like there is at least one dry joint at the smoothing can negative pin, although it's hard to see in that pic. That's also one reason for not changing components without good reason, as each change can create new faults - dry joints, broken tracks etc - even with the most careful work.

If you are not comfortable with doing diagnostics with the power on, now might be the time for someone to have a look at it with you. OTOH we can give guidance if you want to develop that skill. It is a good example to learn with as it is simple, transformer isolated and PCB based so things are pretty accessible and easy to probe.

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 20th Jun 2022 at 5:19 pm.