View Single Post
Old 20th May 2022, 10:16 pm   #19
Silvester
Triode

Default Re: More SC/MP documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokit View Post
Hi David, thank you so much for saving me the keying. I thought no one had the bin files as the Elektor SC/MP lost it's appeal when the Junior project was started. Your computer looks super, also the keycaps really look nice. Did you follow the original elektor schematic? I still have some problems with the 7 segment led's showing some shadow from nearby digits. What transistors are used to switch the led's? Did you add/design the single step mode yourself?
Benny
I followed the schematics only as required to make it Elbug compatible (just page 0):

$0000-05FF Elbug 1.5K (EPROM)
[$0600-06FF INS8154 PIO/RAM]
$0700-07FF Keyboard (A3=1), Display (A3=0)
[$0800-BFFF 1K spare EPROM]
$0C00-0FFF RAM (2114)

[ ] = added in unused Elbug space

I used a 16K EPROM and two 8K SRAMs split into 4K pages patched into whatever page required via wire straps on IC header (see photo in last post).

I used the same Elektor design for keyboard and display (see image below). Only differences are for keyboard I used 74LS244 in place of two 74125. On the display I didn't use inverters on the input and output of 7489 SRAM chips, but drove inputs direct from data bus and buffered outputs with 7417 ICs. I used BC557 PNP transistors (plastic version of BC177 used in original design). All other components are same values. The only thing I changed was to clock driving the display strobing, original design used fixed rate (gate N36, 330ohm, 100nF). I replaced 330ohm resistor with 100ohm in series with 1Kohm preset to alter rate. It's a long time ago but I think it was an attempt at brightness control. I don't recall having any shadowing problem, though I did use a green filter over the displays to improve contrast. Perhaps altering strobe rate similarly may help?

The single step mode was something from breadboard minimal system (see book extract image). I used same design as Elektor for HALT/CONT key mechanism (useful for quick debugging).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	displaySCMP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	257547   Click image for larger version

Name:	stepSCMP.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	257548