View Single Post
Old 10th May 2022, 1:01 pm   #8
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Consumer NICAM Modulators. Did any exist?

The HackTV project looks interesting, however I do have a couple of commercial devices that can produce TV signals with NICAM audio.

The first is the a2b Multibox micro headend - link to instruction manual here

This is basically a Freeview box with RF modulator including a NICAM encoder. There was a 3-channel version and a 6-channel one. I have the 3-channel one, which receives 3 Freeview channels simultaneously from 2 different multiplexes (e.g. BBC1,BBC2,ITV) and converts them to analogue RF with optional NICAM as well as analogue audio. The a2b Multibox re-creates analogue TV broadcasts, allowing analogue TVs and video recorders to be used just like before the digital switchover. Their original remote controls can be used to change channels, and NICAM-equipped TVs and VCRs will be able to receive and record in stereo.

The a2b Multibox was rather awkward to set up, because by default, it is set to use VHF channel S11 for RF output which most British TVs can't tune in to. I had to find a multi-standard portable TV which could receive the Multibox, then go into the Multibox menu and change the RF output to a UHF channel, then re-tune the TV and select PAL-I & NICAM audio. Once set up, it works quite well.

The a2b Multibox can only receive DVB-T television signals. In the future, if there's a switch to DVB-T2 or some other system, it will become useless. It can't convert anything other than DVB-T to NICAM, so you can't input your own material unless you happen to have a DVB-T modulator.

The other device I have is the Philips PM5518TN TV pattern generator. The TN suffix indicates that it generates teletext and NICAM signals. The Philips PM5518TN produces video out and RF out from a built-in modulator. As well as using the built-in test cards, you can even input your own video and audio signals. Sadly the Philips PM5518TN RF modulator cannot encode analogue audio into NICAM. You can only hear the built-in NICAM test tones. However, I believe it's possible to input externally-encoded NICAM data.

If you just want to see the NICAM light come back on your old TV or VCR, either of the above solutions will work.