View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 5:42 pm   #90
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Well, if multistrand cables smear sound where the strands touch each other in a bundle... and the atoms get aligned as the cable is broken in making the sound less edgy... and people can hear this sufficiently to part with lots of money and it makes them happy, then where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise!

I'm sure I get as much pleasure listening to my workshop radio (EF80 leaky-grid detector / PCL82 amplifier) as they do from their pre-conditioned oxygen-free solid core cables, single-ended triodes (cryogenically treated), all powered via gold-plated mains plugs with silver fuse cartridges. While I have a chuckle at their set-up, they'd likewise have a snigger at mine. And I'd concede that measurements would prove their system is superior! But who cares as long as we're both happy?

GrimJosef and others have made a good point that those who like the 'valve sound' (even if it's just a constant-current load or cathode follower in a sand amplifier), while currently mopping up quite a lot of NOS valves and inflating their price, they have stimulated demand for continuing small-scale production.

I'm waiting for the current trend for magic-eye level indicators to get someone restart build of EM80, EM34, TV4's... now that would be a success story!
kalee20 is online now   Reply With Quote