View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2021, 2:20 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: (The trade)Golden years.?

I agree - the 80s and 90s. Computers were being networked [I started doing a lot of X.25 and SNA back then - including arranging 56Kbit/sec transatlantic circuits for some of my clients! That was really leading-edge then and got me several first-class trips to visit 30 Hudson Street NY] - email and uucp and Usenet newsgroups and suchlike gave us easy access to the world.

Then came TCP/IP on simpler stuff like desktop-PCs; and everything ramped-up by an order of magnitude: a licence to print money when you could sell a support-package for a Cisco router for £50K/year and 30% of thta was pure profit! We got-rid of old BT analog leased-lines and faster digital circuits [E1/T1 and then metro-Ethernet] and reliability soared.

Also the 80s and 80s were the heyday of two-way mobile radio: again I made quite a bit of money on that, using Tait and Motorola and Pye/Simoco stuff, with both business and Government clients. Data-over-radio was becoming a bit of a thing too, as was digital-voice.

[The coming of cellphones wiped-out the mobile radio business in less than a decade]

I liked the 80s and 90s: easy money, loads of work, cheap petrol! The fun times.