View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2023, 11:50 pm   #41
Tony DF
Diode

Default Re: AVO VCM 163 Meters

While not about the meters, I didn't want to start a new thread regarding the VCM 163
I have not seen anyone mention cleaning up the rust on the handle bolt heads that always seem to be rusted on these testers. As you know they are pinned and difficult to remove. What I did was get a piece of thin wall Brass tubing available at hobby shops.
Over here (North America) K & S Engineering out of Chicago, Illinois makes an 11/32" x .014 thin wall brass tube. (8.73 mm x .355 mm).
I chucked it up in the lathe and cut off a ring sized piece about 1/4" long. After you remove the burrs, it is the perfect size to slip over the bolt heads. It will stay in place by itself.
You will have to tilt the tester (blanket ?) to keep the bolt heads pointed up. Doing one at a time, using a q-tip dabbed in naval jelly (rust remover). You can submerge the bolt head in product and the brass "ring" will form a dam around the bolt head while the naval jelly works it's magic. I think I let it sit on each bolt head about half an hour.
Using paper towels to absorb the naval jelly and a clean rag for final wipe down. The dam formed by the brass ring will prevent the naval jelly from attacking the soft aluminum (anodized) handles (causing discolouration). The added chemical properties of the naval jelly is, it contains an additive to prevent further rusting of the unprotected metal bolt heads.
Now my tester looks great. While not the look of stainless steel, at least the rust is gone. The rusted bolt heads always bugged me.
Thank-You for this thread guys (about meters). I am learning a lot.
Tony
https://ksmetals.com/products/br014-...546caef3&_ss=r