View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2022, 2:15 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig radiogram cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 View Post
Thanks for the replies, looks like my only way forward, I have a small table top radiogram, perhaps I will practice on that one. What would be a suitable finish to use.

I think I lack confidence more than ability
The original finish - as David points out - will have been cellulose lacquer, and you can buy it in spray cans. It's not so common as poly based sprays though, so you must look for the word 'cellulose' if you want to go this way. The trouble, or problem is, there will almost certainly have been some staining used to obtain the original finish. You can either apply a proper stain (not coloured lacquer) first and then clear coats of lacquer, or, you can use a coloured lacquer, confusingly sometimes called stains. In terms of the latter, Wilko do a quick drying lacquer for indoor use in a variety of colours and in matt, satin or gloss. If it was me, I would choose this last method, coloured lacquer from Wilko. I have used it on numerous times and found it to apply so much better than the likes of traditional Ronseal that drags on the brush and doesn't self level half so good as Wilko quick drying lacquer.