View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2020, 11:01 pm   #55
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 memory upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I just wish I could suddenly acquire Phil and Slothie's mastery of Kicad and make a proper pcb version of it. I really must at least try to get the hang of that software.
I did a couple of simple boards and then the MK14 to teach myself Kicad. If you use source control so you can scrap dead ends and go back and you can google, you'll be surprised at what you can do. It also helped being off work due to illness, but I'm not recommending that as an approach!
I've been checking out Kicad 5 and it looks like they've taken out some of the quirky things with libraries so it all seems a little less arcane. I've also heard good things about EasyEDA which was online based but now has a downloadable version. It also integrates with JLCPCB and chinese component supplier LCSC so symbol/footprint support is excellent. Of course I expect you'll have to roll your own retro components but that's going to be true of all of them. There's quite a thrill to holding a PCB you've designed yourself and looks professional!
And its quite a relief when someone else builds it and it works!