View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:33 pm   #1205
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Has the Cardas Sweeper record been mentioned yet? I wouldn't normally advocate posting in threads without reading previous contributions but there are over 1200 of them. I accidentally acquired one of these records (mercifully at no cost) and find it quite extraordinary. This is a quote from the marketing blurb:

"The Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-in Record is a unique tuning tool for system set-up, diagnostics and maintenance. It was produced by George Cardas and mastered by Stan Ricker. The 'Sweeper', in addition to the standard tones, includes relative and absolute polarity checks, vocal channel identification and frequency sweeps that ultrasonically clean the cartridge stylus and degauss the entire system. And, locked, pink noise grooves that repeat endlessly, blank plateaus, even a sync label to check platter speed. All on a 180 gram pressing with a smiling Stan cover."

The bit I like in particular is the concept of degaussing the entire system. I'm not sure I want my moving magnet or moving coil cartridges degaussed let alone the rest of the system. Has anyone else come across this example of gross audiophoolery (my view) or have any thoughts on the subject? I think I'm rather relieved that the smiling Stan cover didn't come with my copy.

Alan
ajgriff is offline   Reply With Quote