View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 6:54 pm   #816
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Stick around Terry.

You have certainly not offended anyone.

I got involved with electronics by playing with radios from a very young age... a battery powered valve set when I was about six. I survived boring lessons at school by reading RSGB books, quietly! I developed a passion for building oscilloscopes after I'd saved-up for a couple of years to get an AR88. Inevitably, I wound up in the test equipment business. The transition to designing was made by the time-honoured method of losing my temper with a crappy piece of equipment I was repairing for someone, saying "Hell, *I* could design something better than that!" and then proceeding to do so.

For some reason, the domestic hifi business seems to have collected an amazing amount of not just snake oil but also out-and-out bull. It isn't a victimless crime. I have a lot of sympathy for the victims, those who have only come across the snake-lubricated side of things and have been led into believing all sorts of unsubstantiated and even just plain wrong stuff.

If I hear something unexpected, I want to know what and why and I will burrow away until I have found and verified a rational explanation.

The professional audio industry has to be rational to be able to operate, but then it has to keep happy its clients.... recording artists with sometimes some rather strange ideas.

The people on here like the rational side of things. Ohms law etc work, and work the same for everyone.

Some of the wilder end of the irrational is quite funny.

David