View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2019, 3:52 pm   #554
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
As I intimated on the "PX4 Valve Wanted" thread earlier, the sort of thing that turns up re the uninitiated in the Audio world is neither exclusive or at all new! Of course Snake oil is an old product but if people think there is a difference then arguably there is-as for 40% of the people in severe discomfort, during a recent Placebo Trial, who reported they were pain free! [Doctors have always known this!] The description of a "quantum purifier" [post 127] is very reminiscent of a miracle aerial device from the thirties enclosed in a 3" cardboard tube emblazoned with a red and black dynamic Logo. It was designed to produce fantastic [literally] reception results, eliminating the need for a long wire, by simply connecting it between the aerial and earth sockets. Forum members may have seen these. The actual contents were a capacitor and a resistor encapsulated in black pitch! More recently we discussed a miracle Digital set top TV aerial on here that was claimed to pick up Cable Subscription Channels [for free] well.

Dave W
Ironically that device probably often worked quite well as it was an old dodge to connect the aerial socket of a wireless to 'earth'. The reason being that many household earths were't very good ones, and were as good at picking up wireless signals as they were at shunting any interference etc down to earth. I tried the method myself many years ago in an old house that I lived in at the time and lo and behold it brought in stations loud and clear! But yes, if the earth is 'good' then in theory at least, it shouldn't work. I suppose they did business on the basis that many houses had poor earths!