View Single Post
Old 19th May 2022, 10:03 am   #20
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: AC/ DC radios live chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
AC/DC sets are not very safe under any circumstance
They can't be that unsafe! TV's used the same technology for a lot longer and I repaired hundreds of them without the hint of any danger. The workshop I started in didn't have isolation transformers and the benches were fitted with two-pin plugs so worked on the sets (radio's and TV's) on raw mains. All I did was check the chassis with a neon screwdriver to see if it was live or not.

An isolation transformer doesn't really make the sets safer. You can still get a nasty belt if you touch anything live. All the transformer does is enable you to connect earthed test equipment.
Totally agree. My first few years after leaving school being employed as a trannie TV engineer all the television sets we worked on were AC/DC and there was no isolation transformer in the workshop or in customers houses. It was down to the good training we received from other engineers and of course the college that kept us and our customers safe.