View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2021, 8:30 pm   #34
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: "Radio Teleswitch" turnoff; April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
'...With the switch from coal to gas [which can be more load-responsive] the benefits of night-time base-load became less so the dual-tariff approach was disfavoured.'
I was always told as an apprentice in the 1970s that street-lighting and night-time load were to be encouraged by the generating companies for this very reason: the inability of coal-fired plant to respond to load change.

Quote:
'Add in overnight charging of electric cars...'
Evidently plans are afoot - and might actually be in place somewhere - to use electric cars as 'national grid storage facilities' so you can export back to the grid when you car is fully charged, although the two EV owners I know say this facility isn't actually in place yet where they live. Metering will have to cope with that.

Quote:
'The 'Teleswitch' approach could, in theory, have been expanded to handle thisA Teleswitch can't 'tell' the grid...'
I seem to remember that when radio data over LF was developed and introduced, it might have other uses than to switch electricity meters, but I can't find anything about this in my scant notes!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.