View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2021, 9:23 pm   #2431
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
NAIM were a company that used DIN connectors for many years, and only relatively recently moved to phono.

And older Mark Levinson gear used, rather quirkily, Camac (actually Lemo series 00) connectors. Eventually they had to offer Camac/RCA adaptors so owners could use other cables that Levinson's own ones.

Back in 1976 I spent a Summer at CERN, and as well as working there I designed and built a preamp, using discrete op-amps and bootstrapped emitter followers. Used the CERN PCB manufacturing facility after hand taping the 2x masters. The input/output and external power supply input were 3 pin full size LEMO. I still have it - really must power it up again and do some measurements.

Craig
I too played around a lot with CAMAC crates in the very-early-80s and ended up using LEMOs borrowed from Rutherford/Daresbury Labs for quite a number of my 'private' RF projects. LEMOs are still one of my favourite connectors.

As noted upthread, there are DIN-connectors and DIN-connectors... the cheap-and-nasty ones with a longitudinally-split metal plug-shell held together by a pushed-over plastic cover with a 'concertina' where the cable emerges are really horrid: they were horrid when used at audio and just as horrid when used as connectors on home-computer gear.
There are some *good* DIN-connectors though: the type with a cast body and a clamp-ring to stop inadvertent plug/socket separation are my favourite. Used on PYE mobile-radios as microphone-connectors from the late-1960s [starting with the Pye Westminster] they were really rather good.

I'm surprised nobody has latched-onto the computer-style ITT_Cannon "D"-connectors for audio; the good ones come with diecast aluminium shells/covers and a locking-spring to avoid inadvertent disconnection. As well as the common 9/15/25-pin versions the same shells can also be fitted with screened coaxial plugs/sockets: for example the DB13W3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB13W3

and similar smaller ones were used for interconnection between modules in the likes of the 1970s Plessey PRC320 military radio [where they handled up to 30 Watts of RF at 30MHz without difficulty].
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote