View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2007, 9:39 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Problem with bellbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillrogers View Post
I've got a little problem with the bellbox fitted in my house. I have a couple of pulse dialing 'phones (706 and Viscount) and a more modern DTMF DECT 'phone. When either of the pulse dialing 'phones are connected and a number dialled, (intermittant) pulsing can be heard on the bellbox's bells. In all other respects the apparatus ('phones and ringer) work without fault.

I'm guessing (rather niave no doubt!) that this was a common fault of yester-year(?). I presume that some kind of 'smoothing' is required to essentially filter out the pulses(?) - perhaps that is what the jumper plates are used for (?). Anyhow, I'm not well versed in this well-made vintage equipment and would be very grateful for some suggestions as to how to 'cure' this problem (symptom).

There are only two connections to the bellbox - see attached picture. I have not modified the connections in any way.
Hmmm... 'Tinkle-bell', eh?
  • Has your bell-box always done this?
  • Is this intermittent tinkling concomitant with dialling pulses, or just random?
  • Does your 706 'tinkle' when you pulse out on your Viscount?
  • You say you haven't modded the wiring. Have you fitted ADSL filtering at your sockets connected to your exisiting telephones?
  • Have you got line-jack unit sockets or hard-wired connections?

If you have ADSL filters, the third wire (number 3 on the LJU rear connections) is dissed from the plugged-in telephone's bell-wire; each ADSL filter acts like a little master-socket of its own, with its own little bell capacitor included. If this is the problem, you can get around it by fitting a master LJU filtered faceplate, so that any sockets downstream of the master are filtered by the one filter, and the third wire is intact relative to all extensions and bells.

Of course, it might be something completely different!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by russell_w_b; 1st Oct 2007 at 9:41 pm. Reason: Undue haste resulted in misplaced apostrophe; tch!