View Single Post
Old 26th May 2022, 6:53 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Head changes on a Revox PR99

The adjustment I find the most tricky is head tilt forward and back. The head face needs to be perpendicular or uneven/premature wear will result. I try and visually align the head face to a reference on the machine such as a static tape guide, or the capstan shaft.

In the factory they probably have a special right angled tool which sits on the head block or chassis, and the other surface is made to but against the head face. Any misalignment is seen as a gap at the top or bottom of the head face.

As Ted says if the front and back height screws are left undisturbed, or only adjusted together by the same amount for height, only a minor trim may be needed, if that. I often write reference marks with a small felt tipped pen on the height screws so I know where one is in relation to the other.

For wrap I find it easiest to not tighten the central screw underneath so tightly that it's impossible to rotate the head from the top. I also draw a reference line next to the head to keep track of where I started.