View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 8:52 pm   #224
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: I found it! A very sorry looking MK14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
There was actually an official branded / badged MK14 power supply, someone here, possibly Gertk64 (who has not been around for a while) had one. As we all built the machines ourselves we were a resourceful lot and generally already had something suitable, so I doubt whether many of the official ones were sold.

The 'real thing' was just the usual mains transformer / bridge / smoothing capacitor, nothing special, but I bet if one came up for sale it would go well up into the tens of pounds as long as it had its Science of Cambridge label present and intact.
They do give a 8V 600mA spec for it, in the add shown here: http://theoddys.com/acorn/Acorn%20Sy...4%20Advert.jpg
But unfortunately there's not a good view of a label, to make a replica.

The original PSU's for equipment often seem to get lost / thrown out - especially ones with moulded DC plugs when the wire gets bent too much and breaks, although this one must have had to be hard-wired. So can add to the rarity. Back then, I did gut a Commodore LED calculator one that always buzzed-loudly to reuse the case I've still got - which does look quite similar to the MK14 one.