Thread: Error 403
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2022, 2:37 pm   #11
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: Error 403

Here is the text copied and pasted:
I collected this from forum member RichardGM a couple of days ago thinking it would be a nice winter project to bring this once-noble set back to its best. On removing the back to have a quick look round I was surprised to be presented with a set of B9A and B7G valves. Looking further the loudspeaker and output transformer were rattling around loose in the cabinet. And then I looked at the back of the rear panel to see a written note “rebuilt in April ’59 “ with all the valve changes noted.

I can only guess that this must be an unfinished project. It seems to have the original mains transformer, but there is no obvious modification to achieve the necessary 6V heater supply. It must have taken some serious work to put in a different set of valves , not exactly equivalents, and change some component values to suit. I wonder if it ever got as far as testing? The loudspeaker was not connected to anything, clearly having its connections severed and replaced with a horrible choc-block. The metal bracket it was resting on is either not original or there is a bit missing, as when all is lined up together the speaker doesn’t line up with it’s hole in the cabinet. Nor is there enough room to fit the output transformer in its normal position. Perhaps the rebuilder lost interest in it before finishing.

So could this have ever worked?

- Odd I can post it here but not in a new thread?

Have tried posting it a bit at a time and eventually it all worked. It will remain a mystery. thanks for the attention Paul. maybe delete these posts?

Richard, BVWS member

Last edited by Dickie; 8th Nov 2022 at 2:53 pm. Reason: Got round it