View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 9:45 am   #36
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
After some experiment, I chose to use Hammerite Blue to respray, this gave a reasonable colour match to the existing paint-work and had good properties such as hardness, resistance to damp penetration, and long-life which a lot of other paints don't have (such as car respray paint).
Good choice with the paint.

A very good paint here in Australia is VHT (High temperature spray paint) it was designed for very hot running automotive parts and comes in a number of colours. It is rated to 550F or 288 DegC. The good thing is that its also easy to bake in a home oven and it adheres well, and is extremely scratch resistant and like many high Temperature products , doesn't seem to age at room temperature.

I used grey for my Argus chassis, and to improve the adherence, since in this case the chassis was aluminium, I treated it with Bondrite which is an aviation aluminium primer (see photo).

The other way I get good looking and long lasting finishes in my restorations is with powder coating. But in these cases, you have to trust your parts to a powder coating factory. However, it gives a good black with just a trace of gloss and is extremely scratch resistant, won't flake off and out of sunlight lasts many decades. The brackets were re-electroplated prior to powder coat (see photo). Notice the EHT cage which has a custom dark bronze metallic powder coat to replicate the original finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arg1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	174507   Click image for larger version

Name:	powder.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	174508