Thread: Mk14 vdu
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2020, 3:02 am   #892
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Mk14 vdu

Joking aside, little steps before big steps. I think an extension consisting of 1.5K memory + OrtonView would be quite nice with 8154 ports, VDU control lines and some 0V pulldowns and +5 pullups all available on pluggable headers - that's virtually what I have now, scattered across two untidy bits of stripboard.

Mark, there are a couple of sources over here, one in the Czech republic and one here in the UK (JM Precision) which sell programmed MK14 PROMs, the question being whether they can ship them to you over there and how much would that cost. The JMP ones are currently about 17 GBP per programmed set. I don't imagine it would hurt to enquire about carriage to Canada. RAM I think you can probably find or maybe already have, and I don't think you would have much difficulty finding the 40-pinners over there.

I don't know if you know the Vintage Computer Forums (search VCFED) - mainly USA-centric, but if you put a 'help wanted' post on there you'll almost certainly find someone, possibly even in Canada, who can programme a set of PROMs for you as long as you can provide the code (which I can provide as two .bin files).

I'd be happy to programme them for you of course, as long as you didn't mind them making a very long round trip. (Slothie's original PROMs went on a European road trip to get programmed, as they turned out to be the difficult-to-get-programmed Tesla type).