Thread: Mk14 vdu
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2020, 12:18 am   #890
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: Mk14 vdu

I might be paranoid but I sense a certain amount of (un)subtle hinting here

Well I've been thinking about this, in relation to my memory-expansion-buffer board and I was getting to the position that I would just bring all the INS8154 pins out to a standard 0.1" header, and next to the VDU card connector have another 0.1" header connected to P1-4, TOP, SWAP, INVERSE etc and just use short F-F "dupont" jumper wires to connect the pins as required. With a few spare 0v pins to ground out any connections that would cater for any configuration requirements, and if you wanted to you could make up a connector with a toggle switch on to switch between "favorite"memory configurations (there being probably only 2 you'd want). You could even have pads to solder the toggle switch to the board and pads to connect header pins etc.
As for the expansion memory I'd probably just map a 6116 to the 1,5k hole in lower memory for simplicity. If you wanted to fill the upper memory to replace the need for 2111 memory chips, then using another 6116 with appropriate decoding would be simple enough - Although there is technically enough memory unused (512 bytes) in the first 6116 remapping the address lines to move the 0x000-0x1FF block to 0xFxx and 0Bxx is complicated (although not impossible) but might be possible using a PROM or GAL. I was going to look into this when I get access to my MK14 stuff but thats not happened yet...