View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 11:04 am   #13
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Dataman Microdoctor

I've just looked at an older (Mar'83) advert, from (OCR'd) scanned magazine page here:
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...-Page-0025.pdf (than the Mar'84 advert I'd previously looked at).

Which has a bit more / different details, saying:

Microdoctor is an alternative to AUTOMATIC TEST EQUIPMENT which can be very expensive. MICRODOCTOR is perfectly adequate for diagnosing faults in microprocessor boards or computers in the REPAIR SHOP or on the PRODUCTION LINE.
Reports are PRINTED on the integral thermal printer. Tests supported are CHECKSUM, RAMTEST, WAIT, READ, WRITE, I/O READ, I/0 WRITE, DUMP IN HEX, DUMP IN ASCII, TEST DATA LINES (for shorts between data, address and rails), SEARCH (for two specified bytes), MAP (print a memory map of ROM, RAM, I/O and EMPTY SPACE).

Supports both multiplexed and non -multiplexed address/data. Standard software will also DISASSEMBLE in Z80 mnemonics - other disassemblers cost extra. Programs for board -testing can be written in MINUTES - and retained for MONTHS even if the power is switched off (CMOS RAM is backed -up with rechargeable battery). Capacity is 15 different programs of 12 tests each.

Included are two PROBE CONFIGURATION CARDS (One Z80, other uncommitted), PROBE with 24 inch cable and 40-pin DIL plug - and POWER SUPPLY. £295 (+VAT). Extras available are
6502 disassembler retrofit £35,
Clip-over PROBE (only needed if uP is soldered-in) £35.

So it seems you originally got a spare blank Configuration card board, that you could wire-up for use with other (6502 / 6800 / 8085 etc) processor sockets.
And that you could write various test 'programs' for it, that it held in battery-backed RAM. Although I'm not sure how complex these programs could be, or whether they were just a sequence of standard tests it did.

Last edited by ortek_service; 3rd Jun 2021 at 11:10 am.