View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 8:49 am   #6
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Dataman Microdoctor

Yes, a serial output / scrollable small LCD would be far more useful these days! And their Menta Z80 unit was display-based.
So it's a bit like a vintage mainframe system, having everything literally-printed - something you'd see in 60's films / on Avengers episodes etc,
Maybe the idea was that you attached the printout to the computer as a repair ticket or proof of fault / being fixed - Although custom diagnostic software would probably be better. I do recall some computer hardware (and often still test equipment) coming with manufacturer production-test printed results.

It did actually still print when I last tried it, but suspect the ink cartridge / pen would have dried-out by now and not sure if these would still be available. I do have a few till-rolls of various-sizes and believe these are still available (even if most are now using thermal paper).

I had actually mentioned iit on here before, during Dataman Softy etc. discussions and I've had a brief rummage through one computer-stuff storage room, but I haven't spotted it (I'm sure I got it back after lending it)
- Although I did find many obscure Z80 etc. PCB''s I need to find-out what they are, I'd forgotten about. So need a bit more searching / thinking where I last put it!

I would certainly have taken it apart when I got it, to see what's inside. But it was probably before I had a digital camera, so not yet got any photos. But I suspect there's a Z80 (seems Dataman moved onto that after SC/MP) etc. and an EPROM + some RAM in it.