View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2021, 12:11 pm   #1
untune87
Pentode

Default Painting modern enclosures

Hello all,

Not particularly a 'refinishing' query but along those lines; I have a small project that I've put together (just a simple circuit, not really important) and I've purposefully tried to give it a particular aesthetic by using vintage British components etc. I have a Takachi aluminium enclosure (from RS) to mount it in, and I'm thinking about how to paint it.

In regards to the aesthetic I really like the 'retro lab equipment' look, something that belongs in the BBC Radiophonic workshop to give you an idea. To that end I've been thinking about paint colours and how to obtain them (in small quantities). The thing is, many reference photos from that era are black and white, but most of the colours I have in mind are various muted shades of green/blue/grey. Is there any history surrounding the particular colours used on old lab/audio/test gear, or did it stem from military applications? I'm thinking of going for something resembling a Ferrograph series 2, black hardware and a subtle teal-blue-grey, but even variation in reference photographs has made it difficult to work out the actual colour! The 'lid' of the enclosure I'm thinking of doing black or some kind of textured black or dark grey, like a hammered finish—not decided yet.

Authenticity isn't paramount so there is some flexibility, I'm just curious about it. Does anyone know of a good source for this paint (ideally in spray cans)? Would enamel sprays like Plastikote etc be ideal or are there better options?

Secondly, I've not painted one of these particular enclosures before, is there anything particular in terms of prep work they need? Do they need priming? Especially in terms of textured paint, I've no experience with it.

Cheers!