View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:53 am   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: Amiga A1200 recapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrotechie View Post
Hi, I am in the process of recapping an early A1200 main board.

I also have another A1200 with a much later (revision F) motherboard, with different branded capacitors, and the surface mount electrolytics check out more or less ok and don’t show any signs off leakage (though I haven’t removed any to check underneath).
Given the age, I might just recap it anyway (and since I already have it apart), but would be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Also, does anyone have experience of the external PSU’s ? I have two, one of which is a heavy linear type, and the other a lighter switch mode. I seem to remember having one of the linear psus fail years ago (shorted windings).

Retrotechie
I’ve not long dragged my A1200 out and had a play. The caps looked fine and the machine is stable so not bothered recapping it. Stuck a CF to IDE adapter in and got the 8Mb memory upgrade from Amigakit, runs WHDLoad images very nicely now.

Regarding the PSU’s, both the linear and switchmode types seem to use very cheap capacitors so did recap the PSU’s. If you take a look at Noel’s Retro Lab on YouTube he recently retrofitted a Meanwell SMPS into an Amiga PSU case, looks like this is a popular (and sensible!)conversion.

Kev