View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2015, 7:00 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 247T: huge console TV set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The circuit works beautifully but only when high quality silver mica capacitors are used in the oscillator and reactance stages.
Hello David,
I surprising number of Ferguson fringe models used to turn up in London. They are the ones with the model number ending in an odd number.

The Flywheel line sync as you say works very well once you have replaced the .01uf's [I think they are from memory] in the discriminator circuit.

Guys used to twiddle the transformer in an attempt to lock the line. It never worked for more than a few days leading to customer frustration.

If I remember correctly you had to O/C the line sync feed often done by a small switch on the back of the line hold control.

After setting the user control mid way you adjusted the primary untill the line frequency just 'ran through'. The sync was then reinstated and the secondary core was adjusted to centre the picture within the raster. Once set up they performed as designed.

The LOPT is usually ok. The only other stock fault I can remember was breakdown of the scanning coil tag board to the core. It was simple matter to lift the cardboard strip and insulate it. The focus magnets used to become unglued causing weird picture centering faults, again a simple strip down and reglue.
Nice sets these Ferguson. John.