View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2020, 1:48 pm   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Favorite headphone radio

So a quick general discussion. What is your favorite radio to enjoy listening on headphones?

I have been conducting some tests over the weekend on how different radios sound when listening privately. Although not excluded I am not personally counting DAB listening here, as the appalling bit rates of most stations make them sound terrible anyway. But I certainly can enjoy listening to AM on headphones.

Of interest though, I have noted that many more vintage transistor sets sound far better than most modern ones. Modern sets can sound very good on their speakers, but plug in earbuds or headphones and they seem to lack luster and sound sort of flat. I wonder if many of the modern amp chips are to blame, as give a decent push pull 2 transistor stage and the sound seems 'wider'. Also perhaps, older sets have slightly less bandwidth on FM and soften the harshness that a lot of stations seem to broadcast with?

So what's your favorite? My overall go to set, (fairly modern!) is a Robert R9995 pocket set. Perhaps ones designed for headphones are the best?