View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 11:29 pm   #9
mrrstrat
Pentode

Default Re: Hallicrafters SX-25 Rebuild: New Mains Transformer Questions.

Currently - and until I verify all is well - the red wire was never connected to anything and only available for me to observe rectified DC. It is totally off load - I do see signs of burned caps and a resistor that looks medium-well that the previous owner looked to do with his retrofit of a 700VCT power supply to replace the one that burned up.

As I said, I tested the connection of A/C wires to set to make sure proper grounding and chassis state was good, then proceeded to connect the PT and test on/off with seeing power on the secondaries. I got to rectifier test and had to stop as I am out of type 80s.

I am assuming one of my type 83s will serve as a testable rectifier - next test I am doing..

** EDIT: I tried the type 83 in the place of another 80. I got 315VDC to each cathode pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrstrat View Post
I am certain I zapped the Type 80 tube - is this likely because I grounded the 5.0VAC CT? I do not remember ever using one nor did I use the 6.3VAC CT.
I don't know whether you've zapped the rectifier. You could try it off-load with the red wire to the smoothing caps disconnected.