View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2021, 11:57 pm   #11
ianbatty311
Tetrode

Default Re: Noise in receivers

Hi, folks,

Yes, I have read of the phase noise phenomenon - that it is due to phase noise in the local oscillator interacting with phase noise in the signal with low-amplitude inputs.

...and that it can be greatly reduced by using a coherent/low phase noise local oscillator.

OK, so I got my HP synthesised sig gen and a transistor set using a separate local oscillator (i.e., not an autodyne).

The set uses emitter injection, so I disabled the LO and injected a volt of LO frequency (the injection level implied by the circuit schematic) from the sig gen to the emitter of the converter.

I could not get much/any improvement in the noise-level-rise-with-weak-signal effect.

So....

1 - is the LO phase noise thesis just a Furphy? (Australian English - a fanciful or false tale)

2 - is it likely that the HP generator's output contains just as much phase noise as my old-fashioned, valve-equipped, Advance sig gen?

3 - Has *anyone* actually tried to solve this mystery OR had/built a radio that does not exhibit the effect?

(really wann'a nail this one down before I shuffle off my mortal coil, folks)

p.s. Furphy - said to derive from soldiers' chatter while standing around a Furphy water barrel - see Scuttlebutt for the Naval derivation.