Thread: Early FM tuners
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2005, 8:07 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Early FM tuners

The popular kit tuners in the UK were from JasonKit and Haethkit.

Jason produced at least three different models, starting with a kit to build the "Wireless World" design, which used four Z77 (EF91) valves, with a fifth in the fringe version. This kit was placed on the market during the FM trials, when there was omly one experimental station. Later a booklet was produced, detailing the tuner construction, and also the construction of the Osram 912 Hi-Fi amplifier. I have one of these early kits, and it works, though it is difficult to tune, and the slightest cold draft will cause it to go off frequency! Jason later produced a much better fully tuneable unit, and a four station preset unit.

Heathkit produced some nice tuners, the one I have works very well (I forget the model number), but has EF80s in it, so it is a reasonably early design.

There were also a number of construction articles in "Wireless World", "Practical Wireless" and "Radio Constructor", for both switch tuned, and variable tuning designs, and one or two for the conversion of Government Surplus units - I know there is one based on the VHF Gee unit, and I think one based around the R1132, but I don't think you would get away with an R1132 in the front room!

Jim.